Route recommendations for table mountain

Bentles

Route recommendations for table mountain

Post by Bentles » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Hey guys,

What are your recommendations for a hike on table mountain? I've done Skeleton Gorge and am not that interested in Platteklip Gorge (though I'd like to do that sometime). I'd be keen to try something a little more adventurous but that isn't going to be dangerous in winter. There are lots of interesting routes I've found like Dark Gorge and Tranquillity Cracks that look really cool but I'm going with friends who have not been up it before so I'd like something that reaches the plateau.

So basically what's the obvious Skeleton Gorge substitute? Is Nursery Ravine a good choice? Maybe there's something else I haven't head of.

robertbreyer

Re: Route recommendations for table mountain

Post by robertbreyer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:46 am

There are hundreds of excellent routes up TM. All the ones you mentioned are worthwhile doing.
The better known classics that are a bit more challenging are India Venster (B Grade) and then Kloof Corner Ridge (Definitely C - scrambling required).

This is a nice video of Kloof Corner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRI9p7O4HM

Where to start?
I suggest here:
TMC-Cover_web.jpg
TMC-Cover_web.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Buy it online or from our shop in Obz.
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... uctId=2105
- Robert from CityROCK.

Bentles

Re: Route recommendations for table mountain

Post by Bentles » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 am

Hey Robert

Thanks for the info :)

The India Venster route sounds about what I'd be comfortable with (in good weather). Kloof Corner Ridge looks really fun but maybe a bit dangerous without someone who knows the route. My cousin showed me an application called maps.me that has all kinds of routes marked on it including India Venster. It uses OpenStreetMap data - which is like Wikipedia for maps.

Shortly after I posted I ended up settling on the Diagonal Path trail off the Pipe Track which was really fun but turned into a bit of a slog when we decided to head to the top from there and then go down Platteklip Gorge because the cable car wasn't running. Still a good day hiking :)