Slacklining over Maalgat, Sanddrif, Cederberg

Discuss slacklining here...
Andy

water line Mal Gat Sundrift

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi all

A while ago i saw a picture on this forum of a, relativity high, water line put up at Mal Gat by the Sundrift campsite.
If anyone knows please could you tell me the length of the line and what gear you used to rig the anchors. :thumright

Thanks
Andy
if your not living on the Edge...
... YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE!

Nic Le Maitre

Re: water line Mal Gat Sundrift

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 pm

We used about 40m of static to make a zipline from the large block on the ledge near the middle jump to the obvious crack near the spot where you get out, making a line perpendicular to the waterfall.
Happy climbing
Nic

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

did you walk on that?

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

This might be the article you're looking for: Walking over water by Johann Lanz

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

henkg

Post by henkg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 am

Hey Andy, if you walk the Mal Gat, you may end up disturbed. Try maalgat and Sanddrif. Just some Afrikaans color for you... :thumleft:
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm

thanks henkg

i'll remember for next time

:)

johannlanz

Post by johannlanz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Andy

The article that Justin posted the link to is mine. Have a read if you are planning to walk it, at least for entertainment. The line was probably about 20 meters in length, but it ran for about 3 meters above the ledge on the south side (the side from which I am walking in the pic above), and several meters across the platform on the north side, so you could step off at less than 20 meters. On the south side I used cams in the rails (medium sizes I think). On the north side I predominantly slung a very long sling around a boulder that sits on top of the rock platform and had two pieces of additional gear, I think 1 nut and 1 cam. Its a great line to walk, although the points next to each cliff are a bit hairy.

I am back at Sanddrift and the end of this month and I plan to walk again, although this time I will start with a lower line a meter or so above the water. It looks perfectly feasible to rig one basically below the one that I rigged before.

When are you planning to do it?

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

i'm up there from the 25th to the 27th of March. it looks like so much fun, i hope i can get the rigging solid :D

johannlanz

Slacklining over Maalgat, Sanddrif, Cederberg

Post by johannlanz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Motivated by this wonderful spring weather to put up my slackline across the garden again, and to take breaks from work by walking the line, instead of huddling round the heater with a cup of tea. Having not walked a line for ages, I was very pleasantly surprised at my performance - seems those brain connections, once established, are not lost through inactivity.

Being on the line reminded me of some discussion on this forum about the water line over Maalgat at Sanddrif. I remember that there were some people keen to give it a go around March this year. I was planning to do it again in March as well, but managed to sprain my ankle running down from climbing at Wolfberg, and so wasn't able to get on it again.

I was wondering if anybody has been on it since my attempt in 2011: http://www.climbing.co.za/2011/05/walking-over-water
and if so I would be keen to hear feedback about it and would love to see some photos.