Quantcast
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 am 

Which brand is better. Have a bluewater 60m dynamic rope. Wanna buy a thinner Mammut tusk rope. Any body with knowledge or sugestions please share.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 am 

I have never owned a Bluewater rope, but it will help if we knew which model rope it was.
The Mammut Tusk (from the last time I checked one out, was one of their more 'average' ropes).

From the info you've given, you're comparing apples with pears at the moment.
By comparing the specs of the two ropes you should be able to get your answer.

Does price make a difference to you?? And are you aware that you can't get Mammut in SA?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:14 pm 

As Justin says you have to compare apples with apples, so be careful not to compare an entry level rope of one maker with a high end rope of another. Also be sure to take note of optional extras such as dry coatings and other options eg duodess when you compare. (by the way personally you would not catch me buying a rope without duodess). For similar spec ropes, my personal opinion is I would take the Mammut over the Bluewater anyday. Better quality/handling/durability etc. I have owned several and they have always been winners (with Edelweiss a close second place)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:19 pm 

thanks guys! Yea, I did not give alot of info. I'll check the specs on my bluewater and post it 2morrow. maybe comparison will be easier then

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm 

Does price make a difference to you?? And are you aware that you can't get Mammut in SA?[/quote]

Yes price matters, I'll probably buy a average range rope. I know a guy who wants to sell his Mammut Tusk rope to me. Almost brand new. The rope will replace my Bluewater which I have a buyer for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:13 pm 

I have used and still use both Mammut and Blue Water. And there is nothing in it for comparable ropes. At CityROCK we sell anything that sells. We had Mammut on our shelves for many months and not one sold. When we put Blue Water roper on our shelves 60 ropes sold in about 6 months. Why? Who knows. They are both high end brands with comparable costs.

If Mammut sold here we would stock it.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm 

I have owned many ropes in the past 20 years and have found Edelweiss to be without peer. I have it under good authority that either Mammut or Edelwiess will be imported soon. Apparently the decision as to which one will depend on final pricing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 pm 

Mammut make good ropes. I tried to import them two years ago. Their international sales team told me at the time that the annual minimum order requirement was $100K. $100K is about enough climbing rope for SA for ten years. i doubt that this revenue number has changed so i doubt we will see Mammut ropes in SA any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:46 pm 

:?

Why do you want to sell your Blue Water?

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am 

I wanna sell my Bluewater because I have a buyer for it and know a guy who wants to sell his Mammut Tusk. The Mammut Tusk is almost brand new. Mammut is 9.5mm and weighs a bit less. Nothing wrong with my Bluewater. Its just, I can replace my Bluewater with a almost new rope without paying extra. Both ropes are 60m. I dont know the model of my Bluewater. I've seen my Bluewater rope in Cityrock on special. Its a blue rope.This was about 3weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:22 am 

I honestly have both ropes, both in the 10mm range, and my objective opinion is that I had to cut the ends off my Mammut, while my Bluewater still goes strong. Usage would have been 60:40, Mammut being 60 and BW being 40.

So I did use the Mammut slightly more, but the BW seems still a long way from being cut...

Just my honest observation. We used the ropes one weekend one, and the next weekend the other, so it very close on the 60:40 ratio, maybe even more like 55:45.

Just a general observation: I strongly believe one can only give an opinion if one has actually used the product.
:thumright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am 

What if I buy the Mammut for a very good price and keep my Bluewater. Is it advisable to use 2x 60m ropes with different thicknesses for trad or is it a bit of overkill.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 pm 

Nope - in my opinion that's not going to work.

Buying the mammut at a good price may be a good idea, but you are basically then going to be sitting with 2 sport ropes. (nothing wrong with that!)

Nothing wrong with 2 x 60m ropes for trad either - but not at the 9.5 to 10mm level. Total overkill, too heavy too bulky etc. The closest you can come to this compromise is with 2 Beal Jokers (or similar). I have used this approach and it works but it's not perfect. The Joker wears out quickly for repetitive sport use (but is awesome for the odd redpoint), and as a pair, is rather heavy/ bulky on long trad walk-ins (and long pitches).

For this reason I use a 10mm workhorse (mammut) for normal sport and the Jokers for trad, but if I did more trad (if only I had the time) I would rather have 2x 8ish mm ropes dedicated to trad.

Using 2 different sizes is also do-able but is a whole nother story.

There is more advice on this topic on another thread, will see if I can find it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4182&p=19224&hilit=joker#p19224

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5503&p=26961&hilit=joker#p26961

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:53 pm 

I know I know, dont believe everything you read on these forums, however saying that I can tell you....

Blue Water- been in business since the dawn of climbing. Sponsor the highest level of athletes in our sport etc, etc.

Mammut- An up and coming rope manufacture.... I'll leave it there.

As an owner of both of these products, I can tell you that my BW is still kicking other ropes arses after 6 years in the bag! We burnt out the Mammut in 2 months! My Sterling is a close second to my BW and the Ederwies (spelling?) is in the back due to massive elongation (stretch). I would buy those companies that have distingushed experience in their field - after all it is YOUR LIFE at the end of that rope!!!!

Cost should never factor in on your choice. If you cant afford it, its probably safer!

2c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 pm 

Well actually.......
Mammut been making ropes since 1862
Blue Water since 1903
so not sure who the new kid on the block is!

I reckon different people have had different experiences, but no need to knock either company - they have both been making ropes at the highest level since way back when.

I can say that it is difficult to compare durability (which is why different people have had opposite experiences) unless you have subjected two ropes to EXACTLY the same use (only really possible in a lab) because it can only take one bad chafe on an edge to start a pattern of real wear on a section. Another rope may have a luckier outing.

elongation, dynamic force etc are black and white on the specs sheet. Handling and other qualities are up to the individual. I think it boils down to personal preference in the end.

Both excellent companies with a wide range of products from entry to highest level.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:40 pm 

To correct a few inaccuracies:
- Edelrid are the inventors of the modern kern-mantle rope as we know it today...but then this thread is comparing two pears...introducing a peach is unfair (and un asked for)

- using two single ropes in tandem in a trad scenario should not be incouraged as single ropes (by and large) will exert a higher impact force on your pro. In fact, it can get more exagerated in thinner diameter singles. Edelrid produce a 9.4mm single with amazing longevity...the secret is a braided core. THIS will have a far higher impact force than ideal for trad. Use it don't use it

- PM me if you'd like to know where to shop for peaches, 'cos not everything that 'sells' is sold in the apple mart

But, in seriousness, Klimkop...there is an old adage: "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 am 

Awesome guys. The feedback have been helpful in my decision. Im keeping my BW rope, and saving up for a double rope for trad.

Dragon - Thanks for the previous thread posts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:15 pm 

Pleasure, glad to be of help