New bouldering movie

Links to climbing videos
XMod

New bouldering movie

Post by XMod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am

Chuck Fryberger has made a new movie check out the trailer here.

Justin

Re: New bouldering movie

Post by Justin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Nice to see some locals (Scott Noy and Nick (Captain Cutloose) featuring in the film.

I f ttthhheee vvvvoiicccee heeeeaarrdd innnnn theeeeee prrrreevview talks during the main feature... I'll be watching it with the sound off :puker:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

XMod

Post by XMod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah whats with that? Sounds like a throat cancer patient speaking through an artificial voicebox. :|

proze

Post by proze » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Isn't it Ed Smigelskis doing the dyno in the last shot of the trailer? Looks like a cool movie, though.

scottnoy

Post by scottnoy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am

Nalle Hukkataival (from Finlandia)

bigbatman

Post by bigbatman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 am

That's got to be the worst trailer I've ever seen. In what universe could using the ridiculous voice ever have been a good idea. I want that 5 minutes of my life back please!

:x
CLIMBING ROCKS! --- /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

XMod

Post by XMod » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:06 am

speak to smallrobin he's doing rebates.

fivesix

Post by fivesix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:40 am

Chuck fryberger is such a nob! He single handedly destoryed the Specimen video and that was just the start apparently... now this!

I'll wait till it comes round the next local event and watch it for free... cause i know the videography isnt better than Dosage V... so ...blah! :puker:

steveB

Post by steveB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 am

Actually Speciman was ruined by Cedar Wright who does not possess half the personality to be the lead in a movie (yes, even a climbing movie!). Chuck Fryberger won best supporting bananahead for the most obscure footage of Fred Nicole - the dialogue doesn't fit into the story line or even make sense in its own right. Just amazing to think what the movie could have been like with that cast and that location. wow.

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:53 am

If you’ve got a couple hours to spare,The Sharp End will deliver more adrenaline than military-grade epinephrine and you don’t even have to get off the couch. The film, which premiered September 10th of last year, is a heart-stopping compilation of athletes pushing the bleeding edge of what climbing can be, from 20-yard runouts on sketchy trad to Dean Potter’s new personal experiment, BASE soloing. Expect 45-foot highballs in the Buttermilks, alpine pioneers sinking ice tools into hoary glaze thinner than your fingernail, and a whole lot of enormous, screaming, gear-popping whippers.

Sharp End Wins Best Adventure Film at X-Dance
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:40 pm

chuck fryberger just contacted me. asked if we are interested in showing his new film in SA. would be a similar setup to Reel Rock Tour/Sharp End, i.e. R50 at CityROCK. what should i tell him?
- robert breyer

amyv

Post by amyv » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Chuck is not a nob, maybe you dont like his film but that doesnt mean he is a nob.
Also consider what a huge project it is to produce a feature length climbing film, you obviously think you could do a better job well do it then.

He also ran a fundraiser in America to raise money for the elizabeth fontaine school, so consider what your saying before making judgements about people you dont know.

Justin

Post by Justin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Tell him if the movie has the same voice as the short not to bother :D
Otherwise I'm keen.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

XMod

Post by XMod » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 am

A premier is a good idea (provided it doesnt have that voice narating! :puker: ). But seriously Robert 50 bucks to come sit on the floor of the gym? 100 climbers X R50 = R5000! Not bad pay for sticking a dvd in a machine :|
Then if we still want to buy the movie its another what, R250-R350? Someone has their ass in the butter here, and wont be us as our bums grow numb from sitting on the floor!!
Im all for social events, they are what creates and binds a scene, but it feels like a bit of a rip off, you aint Ster Kinekor!!
Tell you what, if you donate one third of the proceeds to the ARF, and another third to a worthy charity (and just to ensure transparency post up the proofs of transfer on ur site) I'll be there.

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 am

Yes R5K could be the door take.
But Greg, here is a lesson in business economics for you.
Producer (Chuck) takes 50%. So R2.5K left.
rent AV equipment (special price from Emile, member AV Direct, projector, screen, sound system) = R1,500.
for Sharp End we rented 100 chairs @ R5 = R500.
5 staff * 3 hours * R30 per hour = R450.

If my kindergarten maths serves me correctly that leaves me with R50 in profit. and i just spent 10 minutes typing this so that's long gone too. never mind all the hours spent on the logistics of organising this thing. Greg, good thing you reminded me because showing this film is actually bad business. let's not.

bigbatman

Post by bigbatman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Watch Sharp End. It is a sick movie. (not sick like the narration of this movie)

This thread has become ammusing.
amyv wrote:Chuck is not a nob, maybe you dont like his film but that doesnt mean he is a nob.
Agreed amyv! He probably isn't a real nob.

:jocolor:

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm

I just spoke to someone who has seen the movie... I'm told that there is minimal commentary and that the footage is solid. :viking:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

XMod

Post by XMod » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Nownow Robert dont trip over your bottom lip!
Dont you guys already have a projector?? :cyclops:
So you dont make anything? - Bummer :( . At least you are transparently poor then, I can respect that!
As for Chuck - tell him he has to start a path building and rehabilitation fund for Rocklands with his share of the bux, to repair all the damage him and the rest of the marauding foreigners have done to Rocklands! Its all very well celebrating the bouldering there with a movie, but then when youre there and you look down it starts to feel more like exploitation (read rape) of a very fragile natural environment. Reservations aside its great that some very deserving local guys are getting some footage, Isnt one of them sponsored by you??
Obviously you should have the premier Robert....just save a seat for me, one with a pillow! :wink:

bigbatman

Post by bigbatman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Surely there are quite a few drinks bought and possibly some gear purchases at these premiers?

:alien:

Flex

Post by Flex » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 pm

My 2c worth... the robot voices are a spoof on Daft Punk, now maybe you guys don't dig it and that's fair enough but don't slate the whole movie and Chuck to boot based on that alone.
I must agree with Amy too that based on my limited interaction with Chuck he certainly is not a nob - I wonder if any of you guys dissing the dude have actually ever met him?
The film is also the first of its kind shot on 35mm hi definition and I have it on good authority that the footage is wicked.
I have another thought regarding the negativity about this and other videos featuring SA climbing/bouldering. It has often been lamented on this site how far behind the rest of the world we are in terms of the cutting edge. I feel the more exposure we get, the more foreigners will come visit and help us raise our level.

XMod

Post by XMod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 pm

The voice doesnt sound even remotely like Daft Punk, in fact thats an insult to the band! Also 'Fontainebleau' is spelt incorrectly in the trailer, you would think they would at least get that right!! I wrote Chuck re this.

Anyway the movie looks rad, Id way rather watch bouldering than trad by a million miles!!!! I trust Robert will simply ignore my petulant (half tongue in cheek [there is some hidden reason behind it] remarks) and do the premier anyway.

Something needs to be done about Rocklands and the erosion that is taking place there. I went to this area before any of the boulders had been explored and what has happened since is absolutely shocking, especially as climbers call themselves eco friendly. Cape Nature are really not getting on top of this at all. That said its wrong for us to simply create a climbing management plan that lands all of the responsibility at their door. We are the users and as such should be taking an initiative to solve the problems we have created. People who are using the area and making movies about it (read inviting yet more people) have a responsibility to help mitigate their impact!

micky

Post by micky » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:57 pm

XMod before slating the foreigners for ruining rocklands take into account the following. Firstly they have developed and discovered almost all the boulders in the area. When Chuck was down here last season he managed to get together (i stand to be corrected) about R5000.00 for a local underpriveledged school in clanwilliam thus promoting the position of the climbers in the area. Another bunch of Americans who were down for the season put togther a video which was used to encourage farmers around Rocklands to allow climbers access to their land and helped give farmers insight into what it meant allowing climbers on their land. Apparently this went down very well with a lot of the locals.

So before you go about ripping off all the foreigners for screwing up Rocklands just remember that they have probably put in more effort and have done a lot more good for Rocklands than you.

XMod

Post by XMod » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Micky, while its great to hear that underpriviledged members of the local community are benefiting from climbers presence in the area it still does not solve the problem of soil erosion and degradation of the rock (broken holds on many of the boulders, most likely caused by climbing when the rock is wet, this a no-no on the more granular sandstone). Many of the climbers are still dodging the (admittedly ridiculously expensive) permit fees which is also not helping Cape Nature any. CN need to come up with a special permit for climbers staying there for extended periods, maybe R200 for three months instead of R800 for a year, but they wont do this unless prompted to do so.

I would really like to see both local and foreign climbers alike actively trying to find solutions to these problems that have only come into existence through climbers being in the area. We created the impacts, we should help solve them. Its too easy to simply fob the responsibility off onto Cape Nature, (the climbing management plan places the responsibility for path building with Cape Nature, I think this is wrong, and they are not building them anyway!) they have other problems to deal with, such as trying to preserve biodiversity in a rapidly changing climate, and are short of funds as it is. I first visited Rocklands before any of the boulders were explored and developed and am painfully aware of the damage that has happened to what was a pristine environment.

Its one thing to run around opening boulder problems, quite another to assume the responsibility for those actions by ensuring adequate measures are in place to mitigate impact from the development. By far the majority of climbers visiting Rocklands are foreigners and they invite yet more visitors by creating these videos, which they will most likely profit from. Its exploitational unless there is feedback into maintaining the resource. If we do not take action the damage to the environment will reach a stage where Cape Nature are simply forced to shut it down completely in order to rehabilitate the environ. Im sure that is a situation we would all rather avoid!

patricksnead24

Post by patricksnead24 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:33 am

Hi All,

It is good...............He has to start a path building and rehabilitation fund for Rocklands...........

Thanks,
http://www.kaffeevollautomat-info.de

DAcaveman

Post by DAcaveman » Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 am

It is good, yah? Patric, who now must start this fund, Xmod or Chuck?

On a previous note: I've had the privelege to watch Pure on High Defenition for the first time a little while ago, and maaaan, what a difference that did! Seems it was MADE for HD! You can actually see the names of problems script and read it properly, and the features you see on the rock is so much clearer - almost like seing the climbers climb first hand. Really cool, as I thought that my purchase of Pure was a mistake at first, but not anymore.

SO, I was told there's a new Chuck Fryberger flick arriving in SA soon - the new CORE - and its even more HD-ish than the one before, something as good at least as the previous BigUp movie Progression... can't wait...

:drunken:

Guy

Post by Guy » Mon May 31, 2010 9:52 am

I have CORE on Blu-Ray and it really is the dogs bollox. The Rocklands footage is awesome and the section with Nalle opening Livin' Large is very inspiring.
There's no point being pessimistic, because it probably won't work

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 am

X-mod, making movies takes more time and more money than compiling and publishing a route guide such as the one for Hellfire. And I am sure you have hit it rich in so doing? I don't know who sponsors Freiburgers and for how much but Tea for three received absolutely no sponsorship and cost well over R400k cash in todays' terms to make. And this does not include the cost of the time spent by the makers of the movie.

For an individual to see any of these movies for R50 is peanuts. And to suggest that the proceeds be donated to charity is ludicrous. As it is. these efforts, whether they be writing up guide books, rebolting old routes, establishing new routes, organizing events including showing of these movies and making movies are done by a hand full of motivated people in the climbing community that benefits everybody. If that is not charity then what is? The vast majority of people who will see any climbing movie have not and will not do anything in their lives to add to "climbing" and the well being of climbers. The least they can do is to cough up R50 which for even lowish paid workers accounts for a couple of hours labour.

Your message that you will only pay R50 conditionally is the wrong message to all the "takers'' out there who then also probably feel entitled to pirate copy the DVD's and photostat your Hellfire guide.

I would donate all the profits of Tea for Three to any good cause but not even 5% of the base costs will ever be covered.

XMod

Post by XMod » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Charles theres a difference between our little creative efforts which will most likely never make any money and a big production with a distribution that will most likely reach hundreds of thousands ppl.

The exploitation Im on about has less to do with money and more to do with the cost to the environ. At what price fun and fashion and fame? I dont think there can be any argument that Rocklands has taken a beating over the years. It would be good to see those that use the place for their leisure and yes the fame, recognition - and hence money - that all those gobsmacking photos bring in, were to feed some small percentage of that back into the place they are using - and slowly wearing out.
Dont destroy what u came to enjoy!

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Out of interest Xmod has pointed out that on sandstone, climbing in the wet is a no-no. I have come to suspect that many of the breakages we see at Rocklands are from climbing in the wet, but only because said climbers were using blow-torches to dry off the holds. This practice might work in some parts of the world, but is devastating in the Cedarburg. Please Please Please do not use this practice on South African rock.

fivesix

Post by fivesix » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Its hilarious going back and seeing what you wrote and who got offended and how badly everyone took it :shock:

How did this all playout in the end?

PS:
Chuck fryberger is such a nob!
to clarify: Chucks movie making skills have more to be desired... :lol: And yes I have made 'digital shorts' too, real climbing ones, I know what it takes.