strubens valley tr?

Find someone to climb with... anywhere

strubens valley tr?

Postby amy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:12 am

I don't have draws and my rope is only good for TR. Is there top access to the anchors for any of the climbs at Strubens Valley?

I see that at least one route is rated a 5, which seems like it must be an easy free \"climb\"? (Perhaps the conversion scale is confusing...)

Does anyone know of gear rental places at/between Pretoria and Johannesburg?

Postby FastestHamster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46 am

You can quite easily walk to the top of the routes at Strubens and set up a top rope, I have seen others do it.

One of the 5's is called \"the easiest sport route in the country/Africa/Southern hemisphere\" and takes 2 draws according to 'Crags of Gauteng\". The first ascent was a solo, and so I don't think that you would need a rope.

When I take newbies to Strubens I start them on the 12 and 13's. Anything lower just doesn't seem worth it.
See some of my climbing videos and other uninteresting stuff here:
Dave's thoughts

definitely can TR strubens

Postby amy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Access to the top anchors at Strubens was embaressingly easy, so I only needed TR gear which makes it a good place for visitors w/out all their gear. Climbs were short enough that we could have doubled our single half-rope to lead.

The bolting seemed like someone stood back a ways with a shotgun and peppered the face!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Climbing Partners”