Otter Trail Robberies

Justin

Otter Trail Robberies

Post by Justin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

On Saturday, July 16, a group of 11 Western Province Mountain club hikers were robbed while camping on the Otter Trial. This happened near the Andre Hut No. 2. SANParks officials then informed the group that there had been 5 previous incidents at the same hut quite recently. Brian Savel says if the previous victims had spoken out to warn hikers, they would have been more vigilant about their belongings.

He says the area near the hut is the most easily accessible from the road and closest to civilisation, which makes it easier for criminals to pounce. He wrote a letter to the Cape Times to warn other prospective hikers. SanParks officials have been unavailable for comment.

Guest: Brian Savel
Organisation: Western Province Mountain Club
Position: Convener

Source: Cape Talk today on the JOHN MAYTHAM show
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Rastaman

Re: Otter Trail Robberies

Post by Rastaman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Wow this is close to home.
We were at hut number 3 on the 16th!

What did the *&^%$#@! steal?

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:54 am

Lucky you!
I did not hear the interview myself but I know a camera went missing... supposedly they removed bags from the rooms, went under the huts where they went through the bags and picked out what they wanted.

FYI: the hiking trail is often no less than +-2km's from the N2.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 am

This is what makes me sick. Only thing we have to fight back with is communication. What does that really help? Makes us more vigilant but that makes the criminals more cunning in their ways. Next thing you know you can't take valuables like camera and what not. Luckily no one was harmed. I hope.

Only way out for me, personally, is to leave the camera at home and pack my .45.

PeterLoubser

Post by PeterLoubser » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 pm

We finished the trail on that Saturday so were in the Andre hut the night before ... would be a great pity if such an awesome trail was to be affected by crime ... can't imagine hiking having to worry about who or what you are likely to meet around the next corner ... :( Table Mountain is bad enough ...