Erosion prevention / base building

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
Justin

Erosion prevention / base building

Postby Justin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm

For those who have climbed at the Bold and Beautiful Crag in Montagu, you will have noticed that the crag needs a 'base build' and the path to the crag requires work in order to stop erosion.

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to build up the base of the crag and stop erosion whilst giving a good platform to belay from.

The base of the crag is at a +- 45 degree angle, mostly sandy with few rocks to use.

Materials at my disposal: gum poles and metal stakes - poles could also be bolted onto the base of the crag.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Attachments
IMG_6145.jpg
Base of B&B
IMG_6145.jpg (128.81 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Ray

Re: Erosion prevention / base building

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Gabions may be a bit expensive, but would probably work best if I understand your description? Gabion cages should be available in hardware stores (maybe not in Montague?)

(Gabions are mesh-wire boxes that should be filled with loose rock - should this be available - use this to build a retaining wall and then backfill behind it).

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

I had thought of gabions, however... I forgot to mention that there are no rocks around (to fill the gabions with).

One option I have thought of is to create a box up against the crag wall (the crag making up the one side of the box) using gum poles and shovel the sand down into it.
The only potential problem with this is that we will have to go all the way up to the top of the crag!!
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Gustav

Postby Gustav » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:52 pm

On the path between Hallucinogen Wall & Superbowl we used a pole on the downward slope side propped up with threaded rods (sometimes drilled, sometimes planted), then covered with mesh, thow in big rocks, smaller rocks, sand etc. It has held up well.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Return to “Beta Section”