Quantcast
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:33 pm 

I think climbing is great. Fighting the wall as well as your own body to reach that next hold. I can deal with not being able to climb a rock face because my body has not yet been refined, well a little. But when one gets to a point and a swarm of angry wasps come out to greet you,that really blows. You could take the chance to climb past but that seldom turns out good. Who knows of effective ways to remove the sting from a wall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:38 am 

Very often you can climb past without them bothering you. Otherwise, the best option is to try get rid of the nest. If the nest is small you can put your hand in your chalk bag and use it to pull the nest off (sometimes you can do this without falling off, especially if u use just your bare hands). If the nest is bigger you'll have to think of another way: cheat stick, branch etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:20 pm 

Why must nature always be destroyed in order for us to feed our egos?
Do another route and come back when the wasps have moved on.
Or climb past and add a suffix to the grade eg : 21 S (for sting-risk factor), and impress your friends.
Or smoke 'em out,ask Rastaman how!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:52 pm 

sacrificing some odd bees for the sake of doing a route can hardly be considered 'fueling the ego'. Dont be such a pussy, Pony!
(AdK, sitting with Fool)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 pm 

While climbing in the Montague Rock Rally this weekend, I was privileged to witness a certain man (Mr B Harper) send a route (some insignificant 27) while putting up the draws and being stung repetatively by a swarm of very angry wasps!!!

What a legend!!!

From now on I shall aspire to this mans example and Climb On through any and all forces which tend to perturb my equilibrium, be they wasps or bees, whilst sending routes and enlarging my ego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm 

Hmmm, some good food for thought. I like the idea of increasing the grade due to the \"S\" factor, and it could make for an interesting climb for everyone. The chalk is a good one as well, but a big problem for my buddy who gets nervous at just the sight of the buggers. He suggested a telescopic pole with fire on the end which sounds pretty awesome.
Look I do feel a bit bad about completely up routing a situated nest of \"friendly\" hornets, but when you have nothing else to climb other than 15's and 16's, and there is a decent 19 just sitting there, it gets a little frustrating. The place we climb (Windmills Hole, East London) has a problem with many many nests, and they are always being build in the worst of places.
Oh and big up to Mr. B. Harper. That is pretty tough, but really not advisable. By his grade of climbing I'm sure he knows what he is doing/trying, but for the allergic climber it could mean the end of his life.

If there are any other means of insect removal other than the ones listed, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 pm 

A bush fire with lots of smoke might be the answer. It has to be done regularly for a few years though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:34 am 

My faverout method, is to take off your chalk bag, close it, and swing it wildly by the strap, this gives you a range of about 1m past the end of your arm, I usially end up hitting every piece of rock except where the nest is. (warning: do not use this method on a bees nest)

Wasps, (bigger and darker) are usially quite placid, and can ofter be left alone. Hornets(smaller and lighter brown) are very agressive, and sould only be confronted if in a space suit.

Just don't hurt the bunnys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:16 am 

I normally always have a can of RAID in my pack. I have successfully used it on some snakes, wasps, a family of Lizards that were in a crack where I wanted to sink a cam, many many baby birds [the type that are nested in jugs]. Raid is really powerful, and it's toxic content is great for keeping the pests away. I even spray it on dung beetles so that their eggs die. If spraying snakes, beware that the sound of the can spraying sounds like a 'hisssss' sound, so stand well back and aim for their eyes. There really isnt anything funnier than watching a small mouse or a snake squirm to death from the toxins. Better than watching Oprah. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:40 am 

The only successful method for wasp, bee,spider and even black eagle removal or evacuation is my trusty can of \"Odourless Doom\". Never yet failed me.Works even better with a flame...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 pm 

Rather some wasps than a puffadder! They love squirming up cracks to lose their old skins, their usually itching all over at the time and not in a good mood.

Guest use the raid as a breathfreshener cause you talk the biggest load of crap! Marshall I scheme we must get Chuck to lock you up; shooting farmers, burning their lands, tsk tsk, there will be nothing left by the time youre through! And I thought traddies were cool-headed eco-sensitive types!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:09 pm 

Fires are a natural process. Exessive preventing of fires can be as bad as exesive setting them.

Why does it seem that there are more wasps now than a few years back? Is it a wet cycle, thus more food for wasps or that the bush on average is wetter & burns less often? What has changed?

Or is it linked to alien veg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 pm 

Guest I rate your style. Aggressive and destructive. :lol:

Alien Veg is a problem at the Windmill as well. A few times I've had to climb past some random thorny looking plant, and once or twice I've had a similar plant between my legs just hoping I don't slip and land in a most uncomfortable fashion.
They to are an invader of the rock and should go as well, though I don't think Raid will work in this instance.