In town from the UK, looking for advice/to climb!

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
ChrisLonghurst

In town from the UK, looking for advice/to climb!

Post by ChrisLonghurst » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:00 am

Hey all :)

I'm going to be doing a short trip up the garden route 12th- 25th (ish) of Dec. Spending the majority of my time in Cape Town, however, I'll be in Knysna and Pietermaritsburg as well. I've done a bit of research on local climbing areas etc, but, I figured, the best way to find out would be through local knowledge! Any response will be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to climb! I'm bringing my shoes and chalk (harness is luggage permitting), as I predominantly sport climb, and occasionally boulder.

So, firstly I'm looking for any recommendations that can be given about good places to go bouldering; unless someone's willing to show me to a few crags, and trade some belays on routes - I can happily lead/lead belay; gradewise around (lead/clean) 6a/(I may fall off? :x )6b, so, 18-21 on your system, I think? Also, tips in regards to any access issues I should be aware of etc would be most appreciated!

If all of the above fails, reccomendations for good places indoors; I believe, from what I've seen, that the indoor bouldering gym at the Uni of Cape Town would be my best bet?

Thanks in advance :thumleft:

abrock

Re: In town from the UK, looking for advice/to climb!

Post by abrock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:54 am

Hi Chris

You are going to love Cape Town!

I have been climbing for about a year now and climbing in the same grade range. I definitely do not know all the best climbing spots but I could give you a good overview of the few crags I have visited the last year when you are here.

I am in Cape Town until the 21st December and then leaving for George. There I will stay for about 5 days. George is close to Knysna and am also looking for a climbing partner to go climb in Oudtshoorn which is about an hour and a half's drive from Knysna and passes George halfway. Oudtshoorn is the only limestone crags in South Africa - http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Oudtshoorn (haven't been there before but would love to get on some of that rock)

I myself haven't been climbing near Pitermaritzburg before but I'm sure there are a few crags not too far away. I have heard of Harrismith which is about 2 hours drive from Pietermaritzburg but it all depends on how long you will stay there - http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Harrismith

For indoor climbing I would definitely recommend CityRock - http://www.cityrock.co.za/

Other than that maybe send me am email and we could discuss this in more detail. E: antboshoff[at]gmail[dot]com

Looking forward hearing from you.

proze

Post by proze » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:59 am

abrock wrote:Oudtshoorn is the only limestone crags in South Africa - http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Oudtshoorn (haven't been there before but would love to get on some of that rock)
There's nothing good to climb at Oudtshoorn in your grade range. The stuff below 22/23 is complete choss.

abrock

Post by abrock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:02 am

Thank Paul, I guess we will need to up our game!!

Forket

Post by Forket » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:44 am

proze wrote:
abrock wrote:Oudtshoorn is the only limestone crags in South Africa - http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Oudtshoorn (haven't been there before but would love to get on some of that rock)
There's nothing good to climb at Oudtshoorn in your grade range. The stuff below 22/23 is complete choss.
Besides that the lower grades require extreme finesse, Proze is incorrect in sating its all choss. Its actually the opposite. Its primary limestone thats been weathered by water creating rivulets that are as sharp as blades. The rock is completely solid, but yeah, sharp. There are really good routes on from the grade 22 on the limestone tufas. Even if you dont climb the grade its worth it.

peace
Ebert Nel

proze

Post by proze » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Okay Ebert. You win for defining choss correctly. Here's a dancing banana: :hapban The easy routes are still not worth going to the crag for.

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:16 pm

They will be awesome compared to low grade UK sport climbing!

You will sweat your bollocks off though going from mid winter cold to Outshoorn heat will have you wilting!

abrock

Post by abrock » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:05 am

Did some reconsidering and after more research found Wolwerivier Crags. 40 minutes drive from knysna and there are some excellent routes in the 17 - 24 range!

justfly

Post by justfly » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:27 pm

There are access isues at Wolwe , speak to Greg he will give the low down on the present situation. 083 3 seven 8 two 58 seven
who needs big jugs when you've got a tight crack

Viking

Post by Viking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:38 pm

If you're in Pietermaritzburg then Umgeni Valley is the answer. Great routes from 17 and up.
Give me a shout on carldreyer5 at gmail dot com
Last edited by Viking on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malcs

Post by malcs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Also check out Howick Falls. Some very nice sport climbing close to Pietermaritzberg.

ChrisLonghurst

Post by ChrisLonghurst » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:41 am

Hey!

Thanks for the numerous replies! All the information is really useful! Makes me wish I had longer in South Africa!

Apologies for the delay in my reply; I've been finalising travel details whilst I'm in the country - I don't think I'll be in Pitermaritzburg long enough to justify having enough time to go climbing from there - unfortunately!

The mosty likely place I'll be able to climb out of is Cape Town; I'll be there the 18th - 23rd, however, I won't have a car to get around in, so I'll be heavily reliant on public transport or drop off/pick up points! So, if any other Cape Tonians are willing to show an eager tourist the good local crags, please let me know!

abrock - I'll drop you an email at some point soon, to see if there's much we can arrange whilst you're still in the Cape.

In terms of sweating my bollcoks off.. I know that too well! I'll be filling up my chalk bag before I leave! t-shirt off = 10% more power, right?

justfly

Post by justfly » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Sent U a PM :thumright
who needs big jugs when you've got a tight crack