Who has explored this?

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
Warren G

Who has explored this?

Post by Warren G » Tue May 28, 2013 3:00 pm

On the R532, about 7kms south of Graskop is a series of cliffs which I suspect to be limestone or dolerite. it is so close to the road and so obvious that it must have been explored. Does anyone know about it? I have driven past it several times, but no one can tell me more. If it is limestone (there is a bit in the area) there are no obvious tufas. It does look like an impressive crag, worth exploring.
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG (41.76 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Warren G

Re: Who has explored this?

Post by Warren G » Tue May 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Here is some of the limestone by the Strydom tunnel.
Attachments
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG (54.84 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm

The stuff between Sabie and Graskop looks impressive, and might deliver. There are caves in the area. The bush is very thick and accessing the top would be character building. I often wonder about it as I drive past.

The tunnel pic is of part of the dried out tufa deposits. I have bouldered on the stuff at the waterfall, just above the tunnel. Weird caves and mini canyon virtually invisible from the road. Seemed OK, with potential.

DavidWade

Post by DavidWade » Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Wow, looks good!

justfly

Post by justfly » Tue May 28, 2013 4:57 pm

that stuff is dolomite , did a lot of caving in the area at one time, some really big faces on the Oliphants river near Penge , not to mention some really awesome caves
who needs big jugs when you've got a tight crack

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Warren G wrote:On the R532, about 7kms south of Graskop is a series of cliffs which I suspect to be limestone or dolerite. it is so close to the road and so obvious that it must have been explored. Does anyone know about it? I have driven past it several times, but no one can tell me more. If it is limestone (there is a bit in the area) there are no obvious tufas. It does look like an impressive crag, worth exploring.
Looks awesome, but the access has always put me off. Bushwacking that serious, is not for me.

GoProCrazy

Post by GoProCrazy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 am

i have also noticed some realy awsome faces just past Nelspruit on the route to Malalane (Mozambique) the access to this will be a major problem but if you are a trad lover this should be an awsome climb to do as there are flat faces with major cracks running from top to bottom.

i will try and get some pic's on of the rock
take the leap, its worth the adventure

andrew p

Post by andrew p » Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 am

Hi Warren, please can you send me the full res photos to me, I will send you my email via a private message. I am pretty sure its dolomite (magnesium carbonate as opposed to calcium) which is often chossy but not always (wild iris in Wyoming is bomber) so definitely need to take a close up look, maybe just needs intense cleaning. I will be heading out this way to explore over the long weekend if anyone wants to join me. Bring a Panga. Cheers, Andrew

Forket

Post by Forket » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am

im keen andy

eT
bushwhacking/trespassing is half my life

andrew p

Post by andrew p » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

Forket, have you run out of climbs at Boven ( ;
here is another pic of the same crag, doesn't look as good?
Maybe the caves above strydoms better.
A
Attachments
graskop_crag.jpg
graskop_crag.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 2848 times

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

@AndrewP - I have seen some excellent cliffs opposite Crystal Springs on Robbers Pass near Pilgrims Rest. I just didn't do anything about it, as it is opposite Crystal Springs on other land, it is far away & it would have access issues (no road as far as I could see). The cliffs are Boven like but no take on the routes/ grades available. If I had a climbing partner I would have gone to have a closer look, but if you (or any other climbers) are in the area...it may be worthwhile climbing for a weekend away. First question would be whose land it is on of course...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 am

Attachments
P7280368.JPG
P7280368.JPG (223 KiB) Viewed 2421 times