Swinburne Eaglemountain area

Let us know your thoughts. Anything you want us to add? Error reports? Did we mispell anything? We'll also keep you updated here about new stuff on ClimbZA.
deSouzaFrank

Swinburne Eaglemountain area

Post by deSouzaFrank » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi

My friend and I are planning to go on a weeks climbing break, in the Harrismith area, to hit some routes and miltipitches like "Long bolt to freedom". Before I book any accommodation online, I want to find out if any one has suggestions on safe and not too pricey accommodation. Camping, hotel or any other form of roof over our heads really will do.

Thanks

emile

Re: Swinburne Eaglemountain area

Post by emile » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm gonna PM you the contact details I have - not sure how eager Ansie is to have her number splashed on the interwebs as my impression is that the whole climbing / access / accommodation thing is really done out of goodwill, so please be patient as they also live in an area with bad cellphone reception.

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 am

I'm not sure its only done out of goodwill Emile they run a good business and the accommodation is a major part of that business. They cater for wedding and other functions so I'm sure Ansie won't mind if her number is displayed

andrew p

Post by andrew p » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am

Stay at eagle mountain (mt everets). The camping is stunning and the chalets too and very cheap. Its under new ownership and they are super keen and friendly so good to support them. Swinburne not 100 percent safe, we had stuff stolen from our bags, while ago though. Anyway, everest way more beautiful and much better climbing. If u need the tel number i can post it. Andrew

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47 am

Just to aid with your trip planning, there is an EWXC race (enduro dirt bike) that is going to be held at Swinburne on Feb 18/19. If you do not enjoy the sounds of 2-strokes in the hills then probably best to avoid Swinburne that weekend.

Like Andrew P said, I have also had stuff nicked in Swinburne, while staying in the barn. Oh how I miss that iPod and those beers! It was sometime back though & I haven't really heard of any other incidents.
Open hand, open mind...

Roland

Post by Roland » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I am quite a Swinburne fan and have become rather frustrated with all the ownership changes at Everest. Last time i was at Everest (about 2 yrs ago) the campsite was rather run down, but things may have changed with the new ownership. Though, i heard they have hunting there, so there may be weekends where you would rather not be around.

Swinburne offers house accommodation (which is fully kitted), the barn, which has beds and a fridge and stove and is communal, and 2 bed rooms that have own toilet and shower but no real cooking facilities. There is also camping Certainly Swinburne is not a "favour" type place. Ii have bolted some multipitches at Swinburne and get a much bigger mountain feel than on Everest multipitches.

What i like about Swinburne is that it has the huge open fields for kids to play, dogs to run etc. Also, you can basically get to all the climbing by walking, or taking a short drive if you feel lazy. There also seems to be much more bouldering than at Everest, if that is your game. Just about all crags at Everest require driving, unless you are really keen on walking some distances.

Not to forget, there is a lot of weather at both places.

I have not had a problem with theft at Swinburne, but as always you should probably not leave valuables lying around. In fact, and i hope i am not tempting fate, but consider Swinburne the crime safest spot currently.

Roland

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Yup i agree Roland. Who leaves beers lying around anyway that's just crazy :)

emile

Post by emile » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Perhaps I should have said it differently. No, it's no a favour, they charge money for it. However, someone I consider to be in the know told me a couple of years back that the man who owns the property can't really be bothered with climbers & all their wims and that him allowing all the bolting and climbers running around the hillside should not be taken for granted. That's all. Maybe I misunderstood, maybe not.

Also, if you search for Appin house (at least last time I did) you get to some hiking trail booking company, not Ansie. I myself see dealing directly with Ansie as the better option and splashing her number on the internet if she does not want it may very well lead irritation and to everyone being directed to the booking agency. I hate agencies.

All that may have changed anyway and I really don't give a shit right now, so do as you please.

hermann

Post by hermann » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:59 am

Hey guys

Please note that Ansie does not handle the bookings for the barn etc anymore. Check out the Eagle Mountain Wiki for the new contact person.

Click here for the guide book.

cheers

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:50 am

Hermann, Eagle Mountain is not Swinburne. Two different places, like 20kms apart

hermann

Post by hermann » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 am

Yes I know, the administrator inserted the wrong links into my post...