The Megalomaniac

Let us know your thoughts. Anything you want us to add? Error reports? Did we mispell anything? We'll also keep you updated here about new stuff on ClimbZA.
Flex

The Megalomaniac

Post by Flex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 am

So, someone opens a new 8c in SA and we don't hear a single word about it or see a single picture of it on this website. What's up with that? Why are random European repeats more newsworthy than this?

mokganjetsi

Re: The Megalomaniac

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:11 am

mmmm pehaps the sender or an associate should do a little write up? I'm sure justin would be more than happy to post......super impressive though!

and what's with the #crtisisethisbitches on 8a, huh ebert?

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:48 am

Flex wrote:So, someone opens a new 8c in SA and we don't hear a single word about it or see a single picture of it on this website. What's up with that? Why are random European repeats more newsworthy than this?
Who, how, where, what!!!
100% agree with you Flex, please send me details / a name and I'll get on it.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Flex

Post by Flex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:56 am

Ebert at Chosspile is all I know.

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks. I'll contact him :thumleft:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

brianweaver

Post by brianweaver » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

I was there too... I managed to film the ascent on my phone. It was really inspirational to see Ebert flow through it! Even though there were two unplanned cuts. He felt good enough on the send to give commentary to me too! As soon as I upload the vid, I'll link it here
I hate this real world place... I'd be more than happy to live out there rather...

Forket

Post by Forket » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:05 pm

The South African climbing community gives a flying bucket of fish scales about hard sends. Unless you trading or hiking 16s, you might as well not post it.

Unless you sending 36 its not internationally newsworthy either. Thanks for noticing tho Flex:) Brian your psych is sooooo great, love it.

Its time to raise the bar to the next level. Time to train harder because im weak. The extension to The Megalomaniac has been bolted. Time to blow some minds by sending something unfathomable.

Ebert Nel
#criticisethisbitches

(This comment was made due to the history of how harder sends get treated on this website. For instance, at the moment Brian's vid of Rolihlahla lies there with not a single person in this community congratulating him, like wtf?) <---- started adding these brackets to fill in the gaps Jurie even though I said I wouldn't (sorry for editing my posts)
Last edited by Forket on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Ai tog Ebert. Eendag gaan almal jou respekteer en wens hulle was so goed soos jy.
#perhaps8cFAbut9b+wankjob

Forket

Post by Forket » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Dick

Forket

Post by Forket » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Im not looking for respect, im looking to advanve SA climbing to a level that foreigners see more than just Rocklands and Waterval Boven.

You live in the dark ages and are most likely one of those snobs that will rather hide cool problems then share them with the world.

Media coverage is the only thing that will help our sport grow nationally and internationally, but you are too closed minded to see this.

Harder routes/problems draw foreigners. Not some scramble up the drakensberg (unless you have a cable car to attract all the weak #TM).

I want this sport to grow.

(This comment was directed at Jurie(aka Logic), based on previous interaction/forum debates/slander/shtslinging/bouldering areas, the Drankesberg and TM comments are purely nonsensical to provoke some mountaineers) <---- comment was added after the next 2 comments <----this one on my 2nd edit:P
Attachments
little_troll___internet_ver__by_nasnet-d3dzn4x-1.jpg
little_troll___internet_ver__by_nasnet-d3dzn4x-1.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Last edited by Forket on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Ebert,

You truly are a master at constructing logical fallacies, I wish to thank you again for providing me with a significant chunk of joy that is derived from reading your post(s).
I get it, you want to advance the standard of Sportclimbing in SA. Stop faffing about your desires and my dark-ages mentality(whatever that means,probably nothing) and f@cking advance things then(whatever that means).
"Een swaeltjie maak nie 'n somer nie", Afr Proverb.

Forket

Post by Forket » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Jurie

Im not gonna fill in the gaps (i did) <-added later (see above for ref)

Enjoy your sour life

peace love happiness
eT

proze

Post by proze » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:20 am

Forket wrote:For instance, at the moment Brian's vid of Rolihlahla lies there with not a single person in this community congratulating him, like wtf?
Did BrianW send?! Woohoo, nice!

Looking forward to the vid of Megolomaniac!

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 am

I think Ebert deserves some serious congratulations on his send and on the advanced level of his climbing! Don't worry Ebert everyone is sitting up and looking at your achievement and I think we get that you are trying to encourage everyone to do hard sends!

It may help a bit if you didn't sour everyone's view of this grand achievement by having a bad attitude to all those climbers out there who aren't climbing at your level! At this point I would like to support your comment that climbing is indeed a lifestyle - and that everyone puts into it what they can - particularly those who bother with a forum.

Now maybe it is your own personal twist on life to come across a certain way, but I think that if you recognise that someone who enjoys climbing 16's is a "valid" climber then you may be able to not come across with so much vitriol and aggression. Strangely enough your sponsors rely on those very people - the weekend warriors - to make bringing stock into the country viable etc.

So I would like to say a word of encouragement and to echo that this is a great achievement! I would also encourage you to go on to greater things! I would also suggest a little less of an aggressive twist in your attitude to your fellow climbers will bring more on board in praising you in these great achievements!
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 am

Old Smelly wrote:Now maybe it is your own personal twist on life to come across a certain way, but I think that if you recognise that someone who enjoys climbing 16's is a "valid" climber then you may be able to not come across with so much vitriol and aggression. Strangely enough your sponsors rely on those very people - the weekend warriors - to make bringing stock into the country viable etc.
Nicely said Old Smelly :thumleft:

And just to stir the pot a little more... It is a bit of twist, or perhaps ironic that Ebert is becoming the poster boy for people climbing grade 16 who want to climb more often and harder (I'm sure many of us will hold on harder and longer whilst moving through crux moves just thinking about him - I know that I do :pirat: ).
Not to mention our choice of climbing gear may well be influenced by his ability to climb well.

Congratulations and thank you Ebert for bringing even more positive energy to the climbing scene with your latest achievement :thumleft:
Looking forward to the extension!
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

Something also needs to be said about Andrew Pedley helping everyone willing to fight for it to push their grades! Well done Andrew on all the work done with new routes and hard sends, some even done by foreigners on your hard work!

I agree with Justin - keep going Ebert - focus on the extension and not on naysayers or conflict - you are indeed going to be inspiration for many others to go for it!

Just one last thing- Ebert be careful- maybe one day you will put up something hard in the Berg - you never know...

garvinj

Post by garvinj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:19 pm

This may be a unusual response but I think it's something to consider.

Matthew 16: 26. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?

Garvin

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

I think most of the climbing community has been there and done that.... :jocolor:

Sorry for my rampant cynicism but rock climbing is a bit of a narcissists sport anyway - everyone climbs for themselves.

There is no delusion that we do it for the greater good of humanity or for some greater community vibe. We climb for the challenge, the experience, the fun - and yes to push ourselves. Alex Lowe is credited with the saying that we all know- "The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun!~"

Still I think we need to cheer on those who push themselves as hard as they can - like Ebert is doing. That is what we find inspirational and admirable! We all have different priorities and our climbing is in their somewhere but you have to admire those who have put in the time and effort to see their goals achieved. At this point is his life he has no money but he has lots if VIM - and look at what he is achieving! I still say GO FOR IT!

Deon

Post by Deon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Funny stuff...
Its a bit like a soap opera. Drama, comedy, anger, irony,sarcasm, insults... All we need now is a love triangle! :puker:

Can't wait to see whats next :thumleft:

Wes

Post by Wes » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Ebert,

I find it quite amazing how you are able to create controversy and mayhem where previously there was none. That is quite a skill.

It reminds me of this little guy from Asterix and the Roman Agent.

ImageImage

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Want to see that video!
Also, Ebert was part and head of the Tuks University club where helping people climb 16s, taking care of Pretoria's facilities and getting psyched and into the sport is the mission. Feel that should be mentioned.
Hikers can take the abuse.
Finally. The Drakensberg has definitely been a proving ground for great mountaineers of generations past. And there is a virtually limitless scope of epic unclimbed weetbix, chichi bush and wet rock left to conquer :D
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.