Insurance for Climbers

Let us know your thoughts. Anything you want us to add? Error reports? Did we mispell anything? We'll also keep you updated here about new stuff on ClimbZA.
mitchmister

Insurance for Climbers

Post by mitchmister » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi there im needing to find out if any one can help me out. I had applied for life insurance and disability insurance with Liberty Insurance but when i told them i do climbing they made me fill out a climbing questioner and when i submitted it. I was denied cover due to the fact that i climb. Has any one else had the same problem?

And can some one maby help me with finding out what insurance company will cover climbing.

Thanks.

Straightplumb

Re: Insurance for Climbers

Post by Straightplumb » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 am

Hey Mitch,

I had the same problem with Liberty, so I ditched them, swithched to discovery and presto covered.
Had to fill in the form, full disclosure and the only thing I'm not covered for is free climbing, in order for cover to apply, I have to have gear and always climb with a partner.
Don't cut that which you can untie. Traddies are hard core, they can hang on their nuts.

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:05 am

make sure you post this "i switched to Discovery" on the Liberty and Discovery facebook pages. The internet is a powerful thing, and voting with our wallets can go a long way.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:43 am

But what does ''free climbing'' mean in this instance? Solo? Because to climb a route from the bottom up without falling, using ropes, qds, trad gear etc, is also free climbing...

brianweaver

Post by brianweaver » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:09 pm

I just switched to Discovery for both Life Insurance and for Medical Aid; both instances I declared I was a rock climber and that I climbed A LOT. They didn't add anything to my life cover in terms of extra costs, nor exclude injuries from climbing on my medical aid. I did specifically ask about it and declared the fact that I have no intention to stop climbing.

Hassle free.
I hate this real world place... I'd be more than happy to live out there rather...

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm with Liberty having declared myself a climber. wasn't a problem.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 am

Must say that I also left Liberty for Discovery for the exact same reason. Most likely if your Liberty broker said it wasn't a problem they just excluded you and carried on - it is best if you actually address the issue. For many years I just told my climbing buddies to say I was hiking if anything went wrong but seriously these insurance people are all crooks - any excuse to not pay out after you have been paying them for 20 years -so don't just let it pass.

Frankly Discovery weren't brilliant. I don't know who put the questionairre together but these guys all think it's safer to solo then use ropes - so I challenged their questionairre and instead of an answer I was told I had full cover. :pirat: :?

In my books insurers are much worse then lawyers. I suspect they can swim in the sea without sharks eating them because it would leave such a bad taste in their mouths...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...