Andre's Knob at Garden Castle

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Ghaznavid

Andre's Knob at Garden Castle

Post by Ghaznavid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 am

Has anyone climbed Andre's Knob at Garden Castle before?

I have seen it from the escarpment on a Grand Traverse, but was really sick at the time and got no photos. I got some shots of the reverse angle from Thaba Ngwangwe and am still not sure if it is climbable without rock climbing. According to Murch's Khulu list (MCSA 1994 journal) it is a hiking peak, but the same list says that Thaba Ngwangwe is only doable by rock climbing (a point I disproved when I climbed it a few months ago - maybe its a B-C grade, but barely), so I don't want to rely on that.

The reverse angle of the land bridge looks like this:
AK.jpg
AK.jpg (77.87 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
From Thamathu Ridge
Ak2.jpg
Ak2.jpg (149.86 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
From Thaba Ngwangwe
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

Funguye

Re: Andre's Knob at Garden Castle

Post by Funguye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

hahaha I am not sure anyone will admit to climbing Andre's knob. As they say, never kiss and tell. Although I will admit that it is an impressive knob.
Strangers have the best candy!

Ghaznavid

Re: Andre's Knob at Garden Castle

Post by Ghaznavid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Saw that comment coming :lol:

MCSA has no route description on this peak (or of anything south of Mzimude), and I can't find anyone who has actually climbed it and I can't even see a cairn on top from where I have seen the peak. Being a named peak I assume somebody has climbed it...
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly