"Hit Squad" Accused a Climber

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Warren G

"Hit Squad" Accused a Climber

Post by Warren G » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am

Dear Climbing Community

As climbers we tend to avoid talking about news and national politics, and as a result we may be unaware what is currently unfolding in Durban, and its relevance to us.

Raymond Lee is an integral part of the Durban climbing scene: for years he has helped manage the UKZN Club, even though he never studied there. Between him and Robyn they maintain the daily running’s of that club, and happily take beginners out on weekends, and occasionally posting on this forum. Ray worked for the Durban Organized Crime Unit, and this morning he- along with 17 colleagues- are waiting to hear from the judge regarding his bail application regarding the much publicized “Hit Squad” operating out of that unit. Durban has a small, close climbing community and so I am sure everyone there is watching this case very closely.

I-like everyone from that club- know Ray well, and have the greatest respect for the work he does there, keeping the worst of the worst criminals off Durban streets, and can recall many periods when he was under massive pressure and sadness at what he witnesses in his daily work. I don’t know a tougher person, nor do I want to know what he has to endure for a salary equivalent to a teacher, and can’t understand how a person would willingly put his life at risk for the betterment of a community that will never know what horrors his daily tasks entail. Then, for the police to treat their heroes like this seems an insult beyond understanding.

Folks, support our heroes, follow this case and wish them well. Let this have a speedy outcome, and get them back doing the job few would dare do.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Marshall1

Re: "Hit Squad" Accused a Climber

Post by Marshall1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

:idea:
Last edited by Marshall1 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Friends help friends, without being asked. Heroes help people without the people knowing. Arseholes cut down the man, and dismiss his good intentions so satisfy is meagre ego, and for this I feel sorry for you Marshall

Hann

Post by Hann » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Yup.....

I'm with you on this one Marshall.

I too would like to keep my private life private.
Unless I specifically gave permission, I would prefer my own pending court cases not to be public knowledge.

But perhaps Raymond would disagree....

@ Warren.
However good you intentions may be, how exactly is this helping?

SuperM

Post by SuperM » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Warren G wrote:... application regarding the much publicized “Hit Squad” operating out of that unit.
Check the news guys!

Warren has not said anything that is not on News24
Super Mario

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Who am I helping here? You. In the same way posting a new route or noteworthy send helps, but the difference here is my telling you this puts more relavence of the story in climbers eyes. We should be supporting one of our own, especialy when he has done so much for us.

The real question is what difference does it make me telling you about all of this? And the answer is nothing, but then there is nothing that anyone not related to the case can do other than inform other's of what is going on, and support them in anyway we can.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Bail granted!! Sweet

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Last edited by Marshall1 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Horse

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm sorry but I just have to say it, Marshall you are a tit!

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Last edited by Marshall1 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hann

Post by Hann » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am

Not knowing the people involved here at all, and trying to be completely objective about this.....
And considering that one of the characters has been granted bail.

The only "help" this tread has had is: I'm sure there are many in the climbing community who now wonders whether or not he is in fact innocent, or guilty....

Now don't kill the messenger.

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 am

A wee bit sensitive there Warren? Derek merely asked whether Raymond would appreciate his life's details being splashed over the interwebs. Being in the Durban Organised Crime unit, you'd think he wouldn't post his leisure time activities and locations on a public forum? Never mind his salary details, that's just not cool. Warren - how much do you earn? Oh you probably won't tell me right?

I get your desire to help in a helpless situation.

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

ya agree totally with Marshall. Complete overreaction by Warren and besides this is a climbing forum for climbing related matters!!