Klein Winterhoek new routes

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Hilton

Klein Winterhoek new routes

Post by Hilton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 pm

On Thursday Guy Paterson-Jones and I headed up Klein Winterhoek to do Oceans. From the top campsite we even humped all our climbing kit up to the amphitheatre before heading back down to the campsite for the night. At around midnight lighting started striking the peaks all around us and it began to rain heavily - and the crashing thunder made us quake. Before my alarm went off at 4:30 I was already totally despondent. The rain stopped around 8 and things started clearing quickly. But is was too late for a one-day ascent of Oceans. And the forecast was for heavy rain today (Saturday) and Sunday so delaying things a day was not an option.
With heavy hearts and heavier legs we did the big trudge/scramble/climb up to fetch the gear. Descending that tricky gully is grim at the best of times but when it's wet (and with a heavy load)...eish! The thoughts of tea got us back down to the campsite.
With tea in our bellies and sun in the sky we cast about for something to do.
On a trip there two weeks earlier I had talked about the ridge that starts right in the campsite and becomes the big fin that sticks out below Klein Winterhoek Amphitheatre; and right slap-bang in the middle of it.
We cast off up this excellent rock and did seven stretched-out 50m pitches to the top of the fin at twenty minutes a pitch. The route eventually becomes a narrow spur with the Amphitheatre access gully just off to the right.
The route details:
"Rainy Day Ridge" 350m, grade 18
start up the grey rib at the top campsite
where the ridge becomes two lines split by a gully take the better line on the right
do 7 pitches of 50m grades 11 to 18 to the top.
Attachments
1. Rainy Day Ridge p5.JPG
1. Rainy Day Ridge p5.JPG (68.11 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
2. Rainy Day Ridge p6.JPG
2. Rainy Day Ridge p6.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
3. Rainy Day Ridge p7.JPG
3. Rainy Day Ridge p7.JPG (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

Hilton

Re: Klein Winterhoek new routes

Post by Hilton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I meant to add...
in pic 1 the route is on the extreme right (looking down) and the campsite is straight below it.
in pic 2 The Times They Are A-Changing is coming into view up on the right.
in pic 3 Oceans of Fear, Arts of Hearts, Children of the Sky are partially visible on the Amphitheatre to the left of the ridge.