Littering at crags

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

DavidWade

Littering at crags

Post by DavidWade » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:20 pm

I am pretty disgusted by all the litter at the rock face at bronkies, not to mention the car park area as well.
Cigatett stompies, sweet packets, Tape and worst of all broken glass. :shock:
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (213.24 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

smityb

Re: Littering at crags

Post by smityb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:01 pm

makes me sick when i see someone smoking and then they flick their butts into the bushes :x

Gregga

Post by Gregga » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:58 am

pitchforks and torches!!!

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I know that I sound like a stuck record, but making our natural resources accessible to the public at large is not tenable. Only the people that care read the forums on Climb.co.za and we argue and fight amongst ourselves.

Get a grip guys, if you want to preserve what's worthwhile you have to create a barrier to entry whereby people really want it, will go through a rigorous educational and training and mentoring programme and then, and only then, let them loose on our crags and mountains....

Engineering our mountains without stringent rules and adherence to those rules will only see graffiti and stompies and litter on our mountains....

Just two week ago this was India Venster:
Grafitti on India venster.jpg
Grafitti on India venster.jpg (254.35 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

GBM

Post by GBM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Unbelievable, what kind of low life does something like that. We do the contour path fairly regularly and I have seen a marked increase in graffiti along the walls all along the City side of path. Mostly names of people who are no doubt first timers and believe they need to record that "special moment" of walking up Kloof Corner by inscribing their names in black ink or chalk on the rock. Though the tourists stick to the paths on Lion's head we have also noticed more and more litter at the base of some of the climbs which appear to be debris and other rubbish tossed from above .... So perhaps there is merit in charging a fee for people to be on the mountain, perhaps it will keep the human waste away.

Franz

Post by Franz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

This makes me sick. Makes me wonder whether my passion to grow the sport is delusional.
However:
It is a law of life that problems arise when conditions are there for their solution. Walter Sisulu
Gotta find that solution...

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 am

i have seen an increase of graffiti / signatures made with permanent markers on platteklip gorge of late. yesterday i saw the first one i've seen on india venster. dammit! this is obviously not climbers but typically teens and tweens who venture up there in groups over weekends. i'm not sure what the solution is but thought that SANP would do well to erect eye-catching signs on the start & end of major trails imposing a hefty fine on anyone caught in the act of writing / painting on the rock. the green & white signs with the normal 10 little pictures of do's and don'ts goes largely unnoticed.

deadmuppet

Post by deadmuppet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

There were marks similar to SNORT's picture on Lion's Head last week, and the trig beacon at the top has fallen/been pushed out of its base :(

Who do I get in touch for things like this?