Via Ferrata in the berg

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

pierre.joubert

Re: Via Ferrata in the berg

Post by pierre.joubert » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 pm

The more things change the more they stay the same :?

beefcake

Post by beefcake » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Jeeez @Tristan you sold out....now we just get to read SNORT ripping you

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Justin to answer your questions, many people know that they used a helicopter. What the people concerned will not let out is which chopper was used. Why, beacuse that to was an illegal flight and landing in a National Park. What we have never heard was what chopper was used or did infact someone call in a favour with the SA Air Force? We have never heard on this forum or anywhere else who else helped to install the VF. There were 12 people I hear. Alard, Jay, Kyle .....?

I think Ezemvelo will chop the whole thing and are very unlikely to install another one any time soon. There is such a thing as "The Wilderness Managment Plan" which is a huge document and are the rules and guideline to which the park conforms to. In that plan anyone, including the park rangers may not erect any man made structure. This includes cairns! So if they do not like little piles of rocks marking the way down a valley, they are very unlikely to approve to the buidling of a VF.

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 am

Was it a red one?

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Tristan wrote:Following a private email early this morning I unreservedly retract all of my opinions which could / couldn’t be interpreted as defamatory for someone who’s career is in the public domain. No point in both Alard and I answering litigation.

Further, considering, that as a shareholder in the largest retailer of climbing equipment in Cape Town I value taking the offended user’s continued business higher than winning online debates or ill-defined matters of principle.
Interesting that first Tristan and then SNORT went and edited out all the juicy bits.

It looks like SNORT threatened to sue Tristan for defamation, or something else like not selling Vertigo Industries gear at CityRock/Mountain Mailorder. Way to win an argument on the internet hey. Am I getting sued for noticing this?

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Pierre I did not threaten Tristan commercially or legally.

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm

:thumright

SNORT

Maestri's bolts chopped

Post by SNORT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

Here is what some of the most authoritative and influential climbers think of the world's most in-famous VF!

http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic ... -unbolted/

jgb

Via Verrata Gone

Post by jgb » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:25 pm

So while you all have been climbing and I havn't, I noticed that the via verrata in the drakensberg everyone (myself included) ranted and raved about has been removed. It also seems that Ezemvel KZN wildlife, the body responsible for management of the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg Park World Heritage Site will be taking legal action against those responsible for erecting it, if their actions are deemed a contravention of the acts and regulations that govern the management of a world heratage site. Judging by the response from Ezemvel it would seem they are pretty pissed off and someone is going to be in the poo!
Check out http://cen.mcsa.org.za/home/via-ferrata or just go the the mcsa home page and click on via verrata.

andrew p

Re: Via Verrata Gone

Post by andrew p » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 pm

If this is true then good, and well done Dave Jones MCSA President for taking exactly the right stance. The VF was a scar on the rock and on the community, there was more reasons for it not to be there than for it to be there. Those responsible showed that their hearts are not really with the mountain but with something driven by something more to do with people, I am not sure what exactly.. because I fear/think it was not really anything to do with climbing. I just hope the bolts will be removed and the holes filled over nicely so that the lichen can return, and that the wire will not lie rusting on a scree slope. Andrew

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Legal Action to be instituted against those responsible…

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (Ezemvelo), an authority responsible for the management of the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park World Heritage Site, has distanced itself from the recently erected via ferrata route across the face of Beacon Buttress within the Royal Natal Management Unit of the Ukhahlamba Drankensberg Park World Heritage Site.

Ezemvelo has further informed those responsible for this erection of the via ferrate route that legal action will be instituted against them as their action is in contravention of a number of acts and regulations that govern the management of a World Heritage Site.

The National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act (NEMPA) 57 of 2003 Section 5 (read in conjunction with NEMPA Amendment Act 31 of 2004) states that “No development, construction or farming may be permitted in a national park, nature reserve or world heritage site without the prior written approval of the management authority”.

The change of any land use of any undetermined (natural) land for recreational purposes, as contemplated in the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations of the Environmental Conservation Act 73 of 1989 under section 2(c) is considered a Listed Activity and therefore requires sufficient scoping and authorisation to be issued. Section 1(f) of the same Regulations also prohibits the construction of cableways for tourist access to scenic landscapes without the necessary scoping.

The erection of the route is also in clear contravention of the Nature Conservation Ordinance 15 of 1974 Chapter 2 part 1 Section 15(d) which prohibits the damage of any geological material within a nature reserve..

Dr Bandile Mkhize, Ezemvelo CEO expressed his shock when he heard of this route. “It is unheard of that an individual would go to a World Heritage Site and interfere with its landscape without first obtaining necessary authorisation from the authority responsible for its management. Such action undermines all the applicable laws and cannot go unchallenged.”

Ezemvelo is also aware of the uneasiness that the erection of this route has caused amongst different community and mountain climbing organisations. It clearly breaches the joint Fixed Protection policy of the Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) and Ezemvelo to which the individuals responsible for the route subscribe.

“We would like to allay fears of all such organisations and categorically state that a via ferrata route is not in line with our future plans for this area. The area is not a proclaimed wilderness area though it is our aim to manage it towards wilderness.” Dr Mkhize stated.

For further information contact the Media Manager, Waheeda Peters, on 083 557 9555/033 845 1235 or e-mail petersw@kznwildlife.com

Source: kznwildlife.com
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm

And the final outcome... the Via Ferrata has been removed, charges against Alard where dropped, but he now has expenses to pay (to the tune of +R160 000.

Read more on the Via Ferrata Fundraiser for Alard Hufner page.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm

It amazes me that they made such a big deal about this when they want to build a cable car in a spot that is marginally out of the WHS on the other side of RNNP. Even though Mnweni isn't in the WHS, it is still as important as RNNP or Didima on either side of it :x
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly