Cape Vertical - Rocks!

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

AntsNest

Cape Vertical - Rocks!

Post by AntsNest » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:48 pm

I got a copy of Jeremy Samson's book CAPE VERTICAL last night at his book launch and have to say - it is FANTASTIC!

I haven't been climbing long (max 2 years) but this book is exactly what I need to inspire me to explore the best lines that the Cape has to offer - and flipping through the pages - there is a LOT on offer!

Owning a climbing guide book is one thing but CAPE VERTICAL is SO much more!

Jeremy talks about the history behind the routes. Who sent it first, who was with them and what they went through opening the routes that so many of us enjoy today.

Best of all (in my opinion) is the diversity of routes that he praises.

I would have thought a climber with a resumé such as his, would have harped on about the crazy/scary big wall epic climbs that only masters of the sport can experience but Jeremy has included many easy beginner routes (many graded as low as 12, 15 & 18).

I want to say a huge thank you to the author for putting in all the hours that a project such as this must have taken him. Jeremy, your hard work is truly appreciated and I hope that this is the first of many print runs!

I can't wait to start working my way through ALL of the routes featured in CAPE VERTICAL!

Ant Scholte

Turtle

Re: Cape Vertical - Rocks!

Post by Turtle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:50 pm

I haven't read the whole book yet, but I must agree!

Seeing a write up on my old nemesis 'Parklife' makes it so special!

Just to let people know, Jeremy's at CityROCK tomorrow evening (Thursday 3 Aug) at 18h00 for a book signing. The book will be available at R160 a pop.

Awe!
:afro:

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:13 am

Haven't yet read the book but could not find a single route at CityROCK listed. They are by far the most popular and most climbed routes in the country!

I reckon the route setters at CityROCK should feel a little jilted. Maybe in the second edition..... :wink:

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

I'd love a copy of this book, but the overseas postage is brutal. Anyone heading over to the UK who can bring a copy? Can pay by cheque, cash or BACS. Or warm beer and mushy peas if you want!

Otherwise, will wait for parents to come over with a copy, but that's October :(

Jeremy Samson

Post by Jeremy Samson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Hey Chris.

Ja, it's very expensive. R 110 for overseas airmail. I could send it surface mail for R 50 but that will take 2 months - by which time your folks will be there anyway.

I can't see another option working - sorry.

Anyway, shot for the interest. The feedback seems to be pretty good...
cheers
Jeremy

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Cheers Jeremy. Easiest just to wait for it along with fresh droewors stocks, I reckon. Look forward to it, great idea.

Have to head over and start ticking once I have completed Classic Rock and Hard Rock over here :wink:

nozza

Post by nozza » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 am

So excited to get this book!

What's the best way to get it in Joburg, are there some copies at Drifters or must I order through the website? I already filled out the order form yesterday but didn't receive a mail with banking details yet - once I pay, how long does it take for the book to find its way north? I would love to have in the next two weeks in time to take it to Kalymnos!

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am

Heya,

The best way to get the book is by ordering online here

The form is working 100% so perhaps your corporate firewall did something to the form!? - Try re-submitting and if you experience any further problems please drop me a mail and we'll sort it out.
My email is justin@climbing.co.za

Mailing to JHB is reasonably quick and if you order today it will definitely be there well before you go to Kalymnos.
:mrgreen: This is my green with envy face
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Jeremy Samson

Post by Jeremy Samson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm

To all the climbers that supported my 'back pocket' book venture, thanks. These things are never anchored on very solid business principles so the way in which it has been received has been gratifyingly welcome.

Other than the first comment ( ant's ) all the other feedback was uninfluenced by bribery.

And thanks, sort of, to those that wrote in to mention the spelling mistake on page 20.

Despite all the highly charged opinions flying around on the forum I am quite comfortable in my opinion that climbers, deep down, are a pretty solid group of people.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Like!
:mrgreen:

shorti

Post by shorti » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Jeremy your book rocks! I'm almost done reading it and enjoyed every page of it so far. I gave my other copy to Marley's daughter as a birthday gift.

emile

Post by emile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:13 pm

:thumleft: Just started, but loving it!

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Justin.....
WE NEEDS A LIKES BUTTON, OLD CHOP!!!!!!!!!
:mrgreen:

danglingdingle

Post by danglingdingle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:13 pm

What a cool book,

I've been reading it on and off for a little while.

Went out on saterday to climb Crack of Dawn.

It's a rad climb, although a little short, and i wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for the book.

Thanks Mr Samson

johannlanz

Post by johannlanz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Just to add my voice to the well done on the book, Jeremy. Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read, (and re-reads well on the bog as well!) And makes one proud to be a Cape climber and have done (some of) the routes. Inspiration to appreciate what we have and to get out there and do more. Good work.