Arrow Final - do not climb the route!

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

SNORT

Arrow Final - do not climb the route!

Post by SNORT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

I inspected the Arrow Final face today and report as follows.

There is an unacceptable amount of loose rock debris on the upper third of the Arrow Final face that results in an unacceptable degree of risk to climb this route.

If indeed a party nevertheless decides to climb the route ensure that there is no one climbing above you.

Make sure your belays are well off to the right and away from the fall line of rocks and other debris. This is entirely feasible at all the usual belay spots.

I consider the wearing of helmets as mandatory.

Consider climbing the route using a single rope and Grigri and trail a separate rope or ropes if the party is 3 or more or if using double ropes use a locking or semi-locking device like an Edilrid Joule or Alpine-Up.

Please be safe!

Justin

Re: Arrow Final - do not climb the route!

Post by Justin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Any plans for a cleanup of the rock face?
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

SNORT

Re: Arrow Final - do not climb the route!

Post by SNORT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am

This will take a coordinated event with SanParks whereby the trail is cleared. And not ideal during the tourist season. As a start though the very loose debris where the boulder was dislodged can be cleared and brought up or down the face. The stuff is just lying there. I shall consider going up there on Sunday to do so and Invite no more than 3 other experienced trad climbers to assist. I do not think more than 4 of us should go. Any rocks removed from the face will have to be put in rucksacks and back packed off the mountain in normal climbing style and the way to do it is to head off to the right where the abseil bolts are as this is the cleanest rock.