Help! My quickdraws are gone!

Did you forget you favourite boots at the crag? Or, did you find some quickdraw on the 4th bolt of some route?
mokganjetsi

Re: Help! My quickdraws are gone!

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:47 am

ebert seriously dude i think most people care about her draws. but if we can't do anything about it, what use is outrage? people take note of what happened and make a plan to take better care of their stuff.
if she actually starts a fund to buy new draws I'll contribute.

Deon

Post by Deon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:09 am

Well this is one of the most ridiculous discussions I have seen in a while...
Ebert is right about one thing: Usually the little guy is forgotten after a while.. That's life!
But at least he won't be remembered for being an asshole :puker:
(by this I am not calling anyone specific an asshole, I am just saying... If you think you are an asshole, stop being one)

CragRat

Post by CragRat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 am

Willem - Seems like a cool idea to me 8)

YaNoWellFine

Post by YaNoWellFine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 am

victim.jpg
victim.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 am

I am afraid I am with HansWors 100%.

As a gym owner and advertiser, I don't know why I continue sending my cheque.

As a contributor of very relevant news content, I suffer the worst abuse in public. To the point where I get private messages from people telling me to ignore the public comments. INCLUDING Justin himself, who of course doesn't say anything in public for fear of I don't know what - could it be ... more public abuse?

As a regular outdoor climber, I am finding alternative communication methods to be more and more attractive. Facebook, emails, newsletters, whatsapp groups, books, phone calls, etc.

Just this morning I sent Justin the image below.

- Robert Breyer, managing owner of CityROCK.
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 8.08.43 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 8.08.43 AM.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 am

And I just mailed you back and made a comment :arrow: http://www.climbing.co.za/2016/12/offic ... ent-798847
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:54 am

well we're rocking way-off topic here, and perhaps another thread is warranted, but for now my 2c:
robert is right in that the interwebs is like a laxative for assholess (which, let's be honest, most of us are at the odd occasion) and somehow people lose their basic sense of respect, reason & relationship when spewing forth.
some news sites allow only comments via registered profiles & FB accounts - putting your real identity next to your comments does act as a filter for some peeps. perhaps a solution?
or personally i won't cry to much if the comments are disabled, but it is sad if the constructive segment is lost.

for what its worth, i enjoy climb.co.za because:
the forum is mostly really cool - sharing sending news, asking questions, sharing views on important topics, getting tips & training on technical stuff, connecting with new / travelling climbers, buying 2nd hand gear etc etc. just block contentious people that keep on breaking the community rules.
the wiki is a great repository of new route information
some of the articles by local climbers are awesome - thinking of stuff written by people like Squeeks, Illona, Hilton & Snort (and many others). And since climb.co.za is not a "serious" publication its great for aspiring writers to launch their craft in a "friendly" public domain - love Mikela's current write-up for instance.

to the critics i say, this is a free country after all - anybody can launch a *newer*! *better*! climbing website if they feel so inclined. and to quote a great man: "complaining without offering solutions is whining".

hendriks

Post by hendriks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:47 pm

So on the of topic side. Solving the issue of assholes on the forum is easy. Do what other forums has done like the adventure motorcycle forum wilddog.za.net . They drew up a set of forum rules/guidelines and appointed moderators for the various sections of the forum. You break the rules, you receive a warning or a ban depending on how serious the offense. Bans can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months or even permanent.

If there are consequences for being a c*nt then people tend to behave a bit better.

emile

Post by emile » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Agreed with mok & hendriks.

I think the main culprits are the anonymous users (especially on the comments in the news / articles).

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm

CragRat wrote:
Willem - Seems like a cool idea to me 8)
Hey guys, that is so generous of you! I was joking at the time.. but am actually considering this as an option now :) :cheers: Just need to have a think about how I could set this up :)

henkg

Post by henkg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Agree that it would be sad to loose the comments, there are constructive comments that add perspective (and entertainment :jocolor: ). But seriously Justin, you need to keep your hand on the live end of this rope. For instance, how can you not delete a comment implying that someone is a "dwis"? That's like hitting the deck in my value system.
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am

Speak for yourself Emile! Just because you have a strange real name - one dog...

Anonymous users are often the only ones who are willing to express a necessary point of view...

Such as the view that Ebert may be largely misunderstood and is apparently a nice guy...WOW...who said that?

See being anonymous is better sometimes...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 am

So there are moderators on the Forum. Justin, Emile, Wes (I think), and myself are. I tend to only delete spam postings and let the other things run. If there is something said that's out of line I tend to let Justin have the final say and just flag the post. It's difficult, particularly as I tend to get involved in the debates, to decide what is acceptable and what is not.
Happy climbing
Nic

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 am

Thread hi-jack ALERT!!

Henk, who/where was 'dwis' mentioned (I must have missed it, and I do, very often, miss/not read things).

This is all so very 2010... The Cowardice of Alias 8)
Makes me think of users Guest and Drifter (shudder :shock: :cyclops:
And yes, both are real people and no, we did not create either of them (they are both real life people)

FYI: When the ClimbZA kicked off, no registration was necessary and you could post as an anonymous 'guest'.

So to be clear, we all agree that the Forum is ok(ish), but that the Comments section needs some attention?
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 am

speaking for myself, if you are contending something anonymously i'll happily discard your viewpoint - do not subscribe to the idea of saying something anonymously which i won't say as as "me". but that's me :wink:

but for a few exceptions, most of the contentious, nasty & aggressive freak outs on the forum & comment threads are posted anon. posting as the real you does bring some responsibility to the table.

this site, the forum & comments can be something good. our choice.

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 am

So my feeling is that if someone makes what may be considered an 'offensive' comment without their real name (and email address) then I will delete it.
This gets tricky, because some have thicker skins/tolerances than others.

Naturally, you still need to be polite, no bad language, common sense, respect, consideration for others, etc, etc... I will continue to make the rules up as they get broken.

New Rules on Comments
Please include your full name, the reason for this is that people sling less crap when they use their real names.
Play the subject not the person i.e. Do not attack anyone, argue the subject (nothing else)
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

LCD

Post by LCD » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am

Still way off topic,
I don't know hey.
My online persona is a lot more pleasant than my real life persona. I'm a dwis in person (can someone please explain what a dwis is) . I try make a point of slagging someone off face to face rather than behind their backs.
I mostly come here as I don't have a TV and really miss survivor. You've had some great seasons here Justin. How about heroes and villains with some of the old players. (really miss Marshall 1)
Oh yes, the wiki, topos and garage sales etc are quite handy too.
So ja, I think this works pretty well as is. Cheers

emile

Post by emile » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Justin wrote:Thread hi-jack ALERT!!
So to be clear, we all agree that the Forum is ok(ish), but that the Comments section needs some attention?
Agreed.

@Old smelly: To your credit your tang has stood the test of time which I guess gives you a somewhat better standing than those one hit wonders in the comments section.
Old Smelly wrote:Anonymous users are often the only ones who are willing to express a necessary point of view
I can make the argument that perhaps it's only really necessary when someone feels compelled to say it regardless of the consequences.

henkg

Post by henkg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Justin wrote: Henk, who/where was 'dwis' mentioned (I must have missed it, and I do, very often, miss/not read things).
Suggest you search the page that offends Robert...

In this instance NOT an anonymous user :)
Justin wrote: So to be clear, we all agree that the Forum is ok(ish), but that the Comments section needs some attention?
Site works well. Anonymous users are cool, mild Trolling is funny. I just don't think one should get personal and degrading.
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Okes...we have enough of our lives filtered and censored everywhere else.
Why would you want to start implementing that here too and then on top of that making life for mods an even larger pain in the arse?

Leave the forum completely open as it's been. The community has shown AMPLE moral high ground in self-regulating as many of you are already doing. :thumright

mattb595

Post by mattb595 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:14 am

I know im totally of topic here or no wait on topic ah im confused!

themoonandthelily why not set up a https://candystick.co.za/ for your new draws im sure a few of us and your friends will contribute and maybe you can speak nicely to Robert for a discount.

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Not off topic at all :) Great idea Matt... thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

This all has got me thinking, perhaps I should set up a fund for all climbers / adventurers.. like a SA Adventure Fund (NPO). Where you could apply for funding for anything adventure related, and the community can vote for a winner a year or something (depending on available donations in the fund). Thoughts?

proze

Post by proze » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Like the MCSA Supertramp?

proze

Post by proze » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:17 pm

My goodness, the stuff on that site! O_o I'm not sure how much of it is tongue-in-cheek, but I really hope most of it is. Sjoe.

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 pm

proze wrote:Like the MCSA Supertramp?
Yes, similar to that. Except for all ages, and it could even be for situations like this I guess.

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Okay.. I've done it! New for me to do something like this and really exciting at the same time! I hope to get the opportunity to donate to someone else in this kind of a situation too. The link to the donation page if you are keen to donate to my quickdraw replacement fund is: https://candystick.co.za/c/quickdraw-re ... -for-lilja

Gustav and Alex from http://www.rocrope.com in Waterval Boven have been super kind and have offered me a generous discount to replace my draws! :thumleft:

Thank you everyone for all your kindness and understanding.. I hope to see you in the mountains!

PS. If I decide to start up a not for profit organisation for adventure seekers needing funds I will be sure to let you all know!

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 pm

So after all the excitement, this doesn't feel right to me. So I'll be taking down the 'fund' :).

Thank you to those who offered to contribute, your kindness is appreciated. X

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 pm

That's a pity. You know about a week after your quickdraws were nicked, my brand new Aston Martin Vanquish was nicked out of the parking at CR. I was really looking forward to seeing how your fund-raising effort would work out, and hoping that seeing as I'm down a few bar now, maybe my fellow climbers would help me get a new one ... oh well. :jocolor:

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 am

Only a dwis would drive a Vanquish. :wink:

HansWors

Post by HansWors » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 pm

themoonandthelily wrote:So after all the excitement, this doesn't feel right to me. So I'll be taking down the 'fund' :).

Thank you to those who offered to contribute, your kindness is appreciated. X

LOL. it's almost as if you misplaced it and found it again.