Effect of swimming pools on harnesses

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Nic Le Maitre

Effect of swimming pools on harnesses

Postby Nic Le Maitre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi

For reasons I'd rather not go into right now, I have to spend sometime in a chlorinated swimming pool in my harness on Sunday.

Does anyone know what the effect of the chlorine will be on it? It is kinda old so I'm thinking of retiring it afterwards anyway but would be interested in any input.
Happy climbing
Nic

emile

Re: Effect of swimming pools on harnesses

Postby emile » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I believe the chlorine will be quite bad for it, similar to leaving it in the sun for a long time or pouring bleach (corrosive) on it, as that's what household bleach actually is - a strong chlorine based solution.

That's about it, sorry.

Barbarossa

Postby Barbarossa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Depends on how long ago the pool was chlorinated. Normal tap water is also chlorinated, and we all wash our gear with it. I'm guessing that as long as the pool doesn't smell of chlorine, or has a soapy feel to it, you'll be fine. the pH of a pool is usually not that far from neutral, say only 1/2 a point off.

grrr

Postby grrr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 pm

I seem to remember they did a test on ropes - dippping them in water, coke - all sorts of things and then testing the strength. Interestingly enough, the rope dipped in urine ended up stronger. So now you know what to do...

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”