Tent poles - aluminium vs alloy

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Tent poles - aluminium vs alloy

Postby bigseb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Saw a tent today that knocked me out (in a good way), then I see it has alloy poles. So this raises the question, "Are alloy tent poles any weaker ie more prone to bending that aluminium poles?"

I work a lot with aluminium and know very well that it isn't strong. I don't have any experience with alloy though. Ultimately an 8,5mm 'pipe' with a 1mm wall thickness will never win any stability awards, even if made of steel. I inspected the poles and they are light and seem to flex easily (which they would have to otherwise one couldn't form the dome). Any of you ever have problems with alloy poles. All opinions/recommendations welcome

Re: Tent poles - aluminium vs alloy

Postby mokganjetsi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:50 pm

"alloy" is a generic term for metal compounds if i'm not mistaken and hence poles will probably be an aluminium alloy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy

anyways, the high tech aluminium used for tent poles will hold-up no matter what. i know some manufacturers (like sierra designs) test their tents in a wind tunnel with speeds up to 100mph. break that!

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”