Backpack for trad days/country climbs

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

ochre

Backpack for trad days/country climbs

Postby ochre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm in the market for a new pack that is suitable for long days out - I'm a woman so a pack with less gap between the shoulder straps would work for me - anyone have any suggestions ?

scottnoy

Postby scottnoy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Trads Days and Back Country Routes can require very different packs, i.e. for trad days you don't normally climb with your pack so it can be larger (35-45) but Back Country Routes may require you to do so (e.g. Exposure - cause you don't return to the start) so a smaller one is useful.

ochre

Re:

Postby ochre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks - I'm thinking about back country routes in that case that do require you to climb with a pack which can't be too small because of the often long walk in with gear.

scottnoy wrote:Trads Days and Back Country Routes can require very different packs, i.e. for trad days you don't normally climb with your pack so it can be larger (35-45) but Back Country Routes may require you to do so (e.g. Exposure - cause you don't return to the start) so a smaller one is useful.

scottnoy

Postby scottnoy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Trust me, smaller is better! It might make the walk-in and out a little uncomfortable but the second (with the pack) will be very thankful!
Few ideas for the more experience climber:
- wear your harness, slings, ect on the walks
- 1. take a small bag with the gear and 2. a ropebag containing both ropes (which is put into the bag while climbing - leader free)
- light = fast (the less you take - the faster you'll climb - needing less)
- the bigger the bag the more you'll end up taking - very true!
You get the picture...

ochre

Postby ochre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks Scott - I hear you :-) I guess the 75 litre + 10 that I was considering is not ideal then

Alex

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:00 am

I climb with a small inexpensive back from Cape Union Mart, called a \"Hydro Persuit 12\". I carry my approach shoes, water/energy drink, wind jacket, a thin polarfleece top (if cold conditions) and a couple of energy bars. Works well for me and it is so light that I hardly know that it is there. I carry it inside my 45 litre approach pack to get to the crag, but as also suggested, if you wear your harness etc, you would not even need a big pack to get to the crag.

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:40 am

And a word from our sponsors: Follow the links to view their range of backpacks.

Vaude:
www.eigerequipment.com/vaude.html

Black Diamond:
www.rammountain.co.za/popup-dynamic/pu- ... p?CatID=20

Mountain Hardwear:
www.adventureinc.co.za/browseBySubCategory.asp?id=34

The North Face:
www.outward.co.za/category.asp?cat=22
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”