Winter sleeping mat - any hot tips?

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

PeterHS

Winter sleeping mat - any hot tips?

Post by PeterHS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:38 am

Hi all,

Which sleeping mat do you recommend for winter camping?

Do you use any special insulated mat? Or have any hot tips to pass on?

I'm mostly interested in anything lightweight and small in size for multi-day or overnight hiking.

Thanks in anticipation,

Peter

RyanKarate

Re: Winter sleeping mat - any hot tips?

Post by RyanKarate » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:16 am

I've been using the https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/klymit- ... oCncvw_wcB for a few winter berg trips now and it's been great.

With it NOT having insulation it rolls up unbelievably small. I used a first ascent insulated before but the 3x extra space it ate up was not worth the insulation. Don't miss it at all.

Triangle rib design of the klymit also makes a much more comfortable sleep vs dead flat design IMO.

Haven't tried other brands.

supersmeda

Post by supersmeda » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:44 am

I've used so many different sleeping mats over the years...inflatable ones...blue rubber foam ones...foam ones..material ones. I've come to the conclusion that I like the self inflating ones the most(they have minimal foam on inside)...and I sleep the best on them...like the 2 examples below.

1. https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-c ... nflating-m
2. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/pr ... e-mattress

I have also slept warm and soundly on snow..where the only layers there were was the tent layer...the inflatable mattress and my sleeping bag.

If you're looking for the most durable..the blue rubber foam ones will last and will go through any adventure although they can be quite hard...you can also take a blue rubber foam one for a base layer and then a self inflating one on top of that...but then you need to carry 2 mattresses with you :?

The best sleep i've had was on self inflating mattresses....BUT the problem is they always eventually get a hole..or multiple holes somewhere. I have tried various brands and qualities and they all puncture somewhere eventually(I must say it is because I don't use them to sleep in traditional camping areas and mostly on a mountain somewhere where there are twigs and sticks that can puncture it). I have made peace with this fact and now I buy the cheapest inflatable mattress I can find and know that I have to buy one regularly. This one is currently my go to as it is fairly light and inexpensive:
https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-c ... nflating-m

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 am

Thermarest!! Best in the business. I layer it with a blue high density foam mattress to protect against punctures and smooth out the surface below (blue spongies weigh next to nothing - also makes a nice seat when rolled up).

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:13 am

I also have a cupboard of mattresses, and use which is best for the situation, however by far the most comfortable one happens to be the one that packs the smallest, and is the least durable: Lilo types. I have one that inflates to 180cm by 48cm by 6.8cm thick and backs down to the size of a coke can. They also do a version with insulation for winter, but I don't think its necessary. The problem with that Klymit is the surface isn't uniform-comfort- and it isn't as thick as my JR Gear- oh, and its R600 more. I resolve the durability problem by keeping it in my bivi-bag, and take super care of the thing. I used self inflatings for years- still do- but my JR Gear is about the most comfortable nights rest I have found anywhere- even home. the SI units are great if you are wanting the convenience of not having to inflate it, but as they tend to be thinner they demand higher pressure, making a harder surface.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

My self inflating mattress from First Ascent works well but isn't the warmest but is comfortable. Haven't punctured it yet but it's only a matter of time.

A really good option is the Thermarest Z closed cell foam mats. https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... uctId=2489. Weigh nothing, indestructible.

Or if you want to go really cheap, visit Sondor in the Stikland industrial area near Tygerberg Hospital. They manufacture the closed cell foam that all the outdoor shops buy and on sell.
Happy climbing
Nic

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:38 pm

mokganjetsi wrote:Thermarest!! Best in the business.
I've always used one in the Alps for camping or bivvying on rock or snow. Never had a problem with warmth or comfort, mate of mine had one that delaminated and grew a big blister, took it to a stockist in Chamonix (it was bought in Oz) and they replaced it with a new one, no questions asked.

RyanKarate

Post by RyanKarate » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:52 pm

If OR WHEN your mat gets a hole/slow leak in it - half fill up the bath with water and dunk different sections of the mat in (heavily inflated) and see where the bubbles are coming from. Place finger to mark hole, towel dry without losing the right place(tricky) and mark it with a permant marker, place back in bath and hunt for more holes (there is always more than you think), once all holes have been found and marked - let mat dry for a few hours - deflate so it's barely holding a shape and then put a small dot/circle of super glue on all of your permant markings. Let dry and repeat. You mat will hold pressure like it was day 1.

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I shall certainly explore the many suggestions. Weight and small size are more important to me than cost. I am pretty careful when checking ground for camping on and so far rarely if ever holed tent bases so durability isn't a huge ask. Of course I want something to last if taken care of. Please keep the thread going ...... P

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Thermal Comfort - Mountain Shorty Self Inflating. Packs really small and light. Ankles hang off the end of course but I stick my pack underneath them of inside of it.

Caution: Cape Union's "KWay - Compact Self Inflating" gets sold without a repair kit despite the packaging's message. Upon return they made up by giving some crappy, rubbish repair kit. With inflatables, a kit with patches of the same material comes standard.

Xharlie

Post by Xharlie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 pm

I second the recommendation of the Thermarest Z-lite. They're great.

Inflatables can be as robust as you like, come with all the fancy repair kits and be replaced without questions but only back at home - if it fails you in the hills, you're (probably) sunk until the trip's over. Carry a solid mat -> Stress free sleeping.

Additionally, solid mats make great seats and deploy instantly in emergency tea-break-napping situations.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:00 pm

Xharlie wrote:Stress free sleeping.
..... except you turn over about 60 times a night because the pressure hurts :(

the comfort of an insulated inflatable makes it very worthwhile imho. and carry a few hundred grams more to add the foamy = a good nights rest, every night. worth more than a lot of the other gadgets we carry around.

Xharlie

Post by Xharlie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:24 pm

mokganjetsi wrote:...worth more than a lot of the other gadgets we carry around.
That is so tragically true.

Last summer, I "enjoyed" an awesome tented trip to the Alps involving glaciers, snow slopes and some fairly easy climbing (UIAA 4+, officially, but mostly about a C scramble with short technical sections. Alpine choss and icy ledges to add excitement, 5 pitches, one bolt per pitch, on average, plus a handful of ancient pitons. Our party of three had been told that the route was bolted and so our rack consisted of a couple of tri-cams and two or three offset nuts) and a rather epic final day (28 km horizontal, 1200m up, 2800m down). We went unsupported, without using the huts. It prompted me to weigh some of that "stuff" that I had carried around for years. The shocker was the Leatherman: not a lot less than 400 grams! I replaced it with a 9€ kitchen knife from a German knife shop: bigger, really great edge, no moving parts to clean, cheap and replaceable if it gets nicked by airport security. Weighs 55 grams including hard plastic cover for the business end.