Mountaineering trousers

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Luckystrike

Mountaineering trousers

Post by Luckystrike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Need advice on mountaineering trousers. Need pants for Kilimanjaro summit night and then for Snow walk on Elbrus. Do I buy a shell with fleece underneath or is it better to buy the ski trousers for example K-Way Torsion '12 ski trousers and then just wear thermal under that?

Chalk

Re: Mountaineering trousers

Post by Chalk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:52 pm

my 2c is get decent shell gear and add layers that you can control in different climates.

I find that pants have a lifetime - they dont last so dont go for the MOST expensive one or the "Best" brand. good is enough.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm with Chalk on this: waterproof pants, gortex gaitors and N layers underneath.

You raise a good conversation regarding rock climbing pants: for me as a Durban type climber board-shorts and no short is my ideal climbing attire, however that doesn't really have a place on Cape Mountains in winter, and boardies don't offer much against kneebars, and bundu bashing thru fynbos, and have come to settle on a pair of industrial workwear pants with reinforced knees and bum- which aren't perfect as they are heavy, a little restrictive and not actually as durable as you'd like. I honestly consider the fancy-read expensive- climbing specific pants not meaningfully better than the solution I use. Very open to a counter argument here...
Sandbagging is a dirty game

TianBothma

Post by TianBothma » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:50 am

Howzit

My opinion is to go with the 3 layer option. Same as you would do for your upper body. Thermals, pants and then waterproofs. I'm personally a big fan of softshell. It works great to keep the wind out and pretty decent in the wet. My setup is normally a thick base layer and then my softshell pants. Gortex rain pants in the bag till i really need them and definitely gaiters! Consider the hassle of changing your pants while you are up there. Putting on or taking off leg layers is not that simple with boots, gaiters and crampons.

I used this setup last week doing an alpine crossing in NZ. I wore my first ascent powerstretch thermals http://www.firstascent.co.za/shop/powerstretch-tights/ And my Macpack softshell pants http://www.macpac.co.nz/fitzroy-softshe ... -mens.html

Enjoy!

Luckystrike

Post by Luckystrike » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:48 am

I'm just thinking that ski trousers and thermal will be allot more comfortable than 3 layers of trousers: thermal, polertec and shell?

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Why would it be any more uncomfortable? Uncomfortable is having heavily insulted trousers in the midday heat, and no way to cool off. Ski trousers often don't really have much freedom of movement, as they aren't really that great for walking in.

Buy a decent goretex shell (preferably with removable braces rather than bib type) and then either thermals or fleece trousers to wear under (I've never had to wear both in either the Alps or midwinter in Scotland). And to protect the bottom of the trousers a pair of cheap hard wearing gaiters, and expect to replace them as they will get ripped.

Luckystrike

Post by Luckystrike » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Thank you Chris F, great advice! :thumleft:

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 pm

:thumright :thumleft: no probs, good luck!

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Ski trousers or any heavy pile trousers suck. Unless you are sure that the weather is going to be really cold all the time.

Most Alpine climbing is done in good weather and overheating is a far greater problem than cold. So layers are essential and ideally full zip hard shell and soft shell are best. With thin any stretch pants as your first layer such as Prana.