Stiff coiling rope.

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Gregdegidts

Stiff coiling rope.

Post by Gregdegidts » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 am

Hi There
Does anyone have some advice on how to get a stiff , coiling rope to be more manageable ?
I recently got a 70 meter Mammut transformer. It is around 4 months old and I'm really surprised at how stiff it is. I've owned many ropes in the past and have not had this issue with the bulk of them. The previous two ropes I had were also both Mammut. They were the bottom of the range ones and I was happy with both but for some reason this one is not up to standard and since it was more expensive I'm pretty bleak that I never just stuck with the cheaper option...

Any comments / thoughts would be much appreciated
Cheers
Greg

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Stiff coiling rope.

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 am

Priapic rope? Stop rubbing it, it'll get soft soon enough...
Happy climbing
Nic

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:32 am

Nic, I always enjoy your technical help and wisdom! I never get stiff coiling rope ..... Peter

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:13 am

Yo Greg,

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Anyway, on a serious note. Had my transformer for 2 years now - the stiffness and terrible handling and coiling never goes away, and the rope is a mission to clean when it gets dirty. It is pretty durable though which is the (only) upside. I've been trying to trash it so I have an excuse to buy a new rope but it doesn't want to die.

Mammut makes great ropes, the transformer isn't one of them.

Cheers

proze

Post by proze » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Digits! I have a Mammut Tusk that was stiff and awful out of the plastic, and it's stiff and awful now. It's affectionately known as The Cable to my climbing partners. But it's lasted and lasted and lasted, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys , guess I'll have to live with it for a long time it seems :mrgreen:

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 am

I have the same Mammut Transformer Protect (also a few months old) and was also wondering when the stiffness would go away.. I guess now I have my answer... such a pity :(

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 am

Has anyone contacted Mammut? It would be interesting to hear their response. P

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:55 am

Obvious suggestion I never even considered Peter , I'll try them today :thumleft:

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 am

I think there is a pay off between stiffness and durability; may not be the best sending rope but a great workhorse. Every time I tie into The Cable I know my 100kgs of meat is in good hands ....

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 pm

I find that what really helps the durability is the fact that nobody wants to pull the bloody thing through a belay device, so you just end up climbing on everybody else's soft and supple cords instead. :thumleft:

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:59 pm

We go through a fair amount of rope in rescue and get to evaluate all of the different manufacturers ropes from time to time. I've noticed that the "hand" of ropes differs dramatically from batch to batch, with ostensibly the same rope being very different from 2015 to 2016 or whatever. It is worth trying the "hand" of the ropes out before you buy rather than just buying on make and model.
Happy climbing
Nic

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Also own the same Mammut Transformer Protect. Colour pattern like my grandmothers' crochet blanket :-). Picked it up at the beginning of the year. Sadly mine is stiffer than I'd like it to be. Very robust though. My previous Mammut Infinity was a lovely rope though, so this one won't put me off Mammut completely. They make a good product. I'll just be sure to handle the next one before I buy.

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 am

I believe the transformer has a very tightly woven sheath which accounts for some of the stiffness. I just have to mention that after washing the rope (lukewarm water and rope brush) it does soften up a /tiny/ bit, but it stiffens up again after it gets a bit dirty. And it really holds dirt well. I've read a few posts online suggesting that using Woolite when washing ropes is safe and gives them a slightly softer feel as well but I haven't tried it, and probably won't.

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I contacted Mammut and they replied and will replace the rope no questions asked was a great service experience for sure … So next question has anyone owned a Mammut Infinity Classic 9.5 or the Eternity Classic 9.8 and what was your experience with these ? Thanks to Peter for the Suggestion of contacting Mammut direct :thumleft: and Nic good advice on the batches , I've never really researched ropes in the past I usually just buy what I know but think from now on if I buy a rope I'm not familiar with I'll ask around first :oops:

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 pm

I've played with an Infinity 9.5 and it felt really nice, looking at replacing my Transformer with that too. The reviewers agree.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing-Rope-Reviews

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Hey Greg.. after meeting you last night I also emailed Mammut and they've just responded saying they will replace the rope. I was so excited about the Transformer, so it's a pity on the one hand.. but am also grateful that they are willing to replace the rope :hapban so yeah... next step is to decide what to go for instead!

themoonandthelily

Post by themoonandthelily » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Really excellent customer service!

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Do you have to send it to them or anything?

I'm sure I can discover a stiff Mammut rope somewhere...

But seriously, that's an incredible response.
Happy climbing
Nic

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Great to hear you came right too Lilja .

Nic i need to return the rope to City Rock where I purchased it so they can return it to Mammut . Both Mammut and City Rock have been very helpful with this matter. Great that good service is still something that some companies aspire to.

tyronec01

Post by tyronec01 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Hey Greg,

Thanks for posting this. I too have a transformer and experiencing the same issue with handling. Did you use Mammut's email address from their mammut.ch website?

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Think this will work with a 2 year old Transformer? ;)

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Kittens: who knows one can only try …

Tyrone: I went to their website https://www.mammut.ch I then ran down the page to Contact. When contacting under the request section I chose Repair / Customer Service / Warranty.

tyronec01

Post by tyronec01 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Cool thanks!

My rope is also around 2 years old. Will let you know what happens...

proze

Post by proze » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:02 pm

I have an infinity, Greg. It's awesome. :thumleft:

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Great think I'll get an infinity. Paul how things I remember climbing with you years back when you were still in Gauteng. You're in the Cape now right ?

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm

CityROCK are the importers of Mammut, we need to shed some light on this.
Sorry about the delay, we wanted to get our information correct from Mammut before posting an official response.
According to Mammut, the Transformer rope is a slightly stiffer rope to begin with, as it is made from left over yarns from the production of their other ropes, hence the name 'Transformer'.
Mammut have told us that they have experienced a problem with excessive stiffness with one of their Transformer batches from the beginning of THIS year.
It is not all of the Transformers, but a handful of ropes within a certain production batch.
To all those that have bought a Transformer rope from us this year (from 1 January 2016 onwards) and feel your rope is too stiff, please bring it in to one of our stores where we can inspect it. We only sold one online via our Mountainmailorder.co.za online shop and we know who you are :)

We’ll need to send a report and some pics off to Mammut for their approval, and if all goes according to plan we’ll have you on a new rope within 2-3 weeks.

Best to call or email me personally if you have any questions.

Nathan, the imports dude @ CityROCK.
Nathan@cityrock.co.za
021-447-1319
082-575-7003
Attachments
mammut-transformer-vorstellung.jpg
mammut-transformer-vorstellung.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Last edited by robertbreyer on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Service at its finest... I gotta say though that if the batch this year is stiffer than mine I feel really sorry for the owners :lol:

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback and clarity Nathan. Your service is awesome as usual. Will shoot you an email.