Shine the light on headlamps ....

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

PeterHS

Shine the light on headlamps ....

Post by PeterHS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:27 am

So, I need a new headlamp and not just one for if I get a bit late on a hike. I am looking for one for rescue, for climbing, for more active use. My old Petzl works still, is on its third strap, a bit battered and will probably go to my girl friend (as much stuff seems to!).

I want to upgrade to something with a decent light in terms of brightness and range, a decent rechargeable battery/ies (you can spend R3000 for a battery alone), and reasonably waterproof. I am not so bothered about the red light or flashing options but I guess the high-end ones all have.

Which do you use and recommend? Petzl? Black Diamond? Olight? Other? It seems the high-end ones (I am buying one only and will look after it for many years so I don't mind paying a good price) all have separate battery packs at the rear. Does this weight affect you or balance?

Oh and it must fit over a standard climbing helmet too ....

TIA as always,

P

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Shine the light on headlamps ....

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 am

Petzl Tikka Nao

Once you try distance sensing technology you never want anything else
Happy climbing
Nic

hendriks

Post by hendriks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 am

There is an extensive thread on headlamps somewhere on here. Someone can post a link if they can find it.

my 2c.

Don't go for a rechargeable battery type light. Rescues can get very long and your battery will inevitably run out. AAA's last very long anyhow so not really that expensive and very convenient.
Something around the 100lumen range is great. BD/Petzl both make great lights. I use a BD Storm with a Petzl Tikina as a backup. I have a Led lenser as well and although it has a nice beam the build quality is shoddy and they are not very durable.

If I had money to spend and wanted a new light I would buy a Petzl Nao (https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/PERF ... 1ff4OSrF6I) Very nice but pricey

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 am

The Petzl stuff is good but quite pricey I just got the SE07R from LED Lenser super bright, has the sensing technology and I got it for just under R1000 at due south (the petzl was R400 more) I think there is a new Black Diamond one reviewed in the latest mountain mag but I have no experience of it.

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:02 pm

LED Lensor... how is everyone finding the quality?
I ask because a number of the small torches that I own have died :shock:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Anecdotally I hear that the quality is not the greatest but the after sales service in terms of fixing or replacing is good.

Great after sales is all well and fine but when you really need your light on the way down Mostertshoek Twins in winter in the dark I'd rather have a light that doesn't break.

Sorry, seems the Tikka Nao is no longer made. This is what you want: https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... uctId=2918

or the big brother that Hendrik spoke of (not cheap): https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... uctId=2407
Happy climbing
Nic

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 pm

For locally made, good value, headlamp which is simple in its design, I'd recommend one of the Extreme Lights. I have the XPh rechargeable, which can also run on triple AAA's, but the battery life is good enough not to worry too much about running out of light.

http://www.extremelights.co.za/product- ... mp-lights/

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:56 pm

That looks just like an LED Lenser which has been rebadged?

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Has anyone used the hand-swiping or sensing technology? I don't want accidentally to turn my headlamp off as I reach for that crux move ......! Thoughts?

hendriks

Post by hendriks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:00 pm

As I've mentioned before, a light that can take AAA batteries is must in my book, especially if you plan on using it for rescue.

Swipe types of switches, not sure if they will work with gloves. Simple buttons are best in my book.

@Justin: I've had a few Led Lensers. Bad durability, bad build quality, nice focused beam, good after sales service.

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm

I've had many generations of Petzl headlamps (including, most recently, the Tikka and the MyoXp)

I recently bought my climbing partner a BD headlamp for a present (the Storm, I think). Based on its performance, I'm changing my allegiance to BD.

PS - Choice of headlamp won't make the difference getting off the Twins in winter. Either you know the route or you bivvy :roll:

legendarry

Post by legendarry » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 pm

I've had the Led Lenser SE05 for two and a half years and it's survived torrential downpours, and it's been banged around a fair amount. Used it extensively as well