Flashed quickdraws - info and opinions

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

JanoSA

Flashed quickdraws - info and opinions

Post by JanoSA » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi all

I need to add a few more quickdraws to my collection and have been eyeing these for a while. Just not much out there in the way of reviews and information on these and I'm nowhere near a City Rock shop to handle them myself, so a little on the fence. Currently have a set of Petzl Djinn quickdraws in a few different lengths for various uses. Not unhappy with the Petzls either, just thought I'd try something different. Was eyeing a set of BD Posiwire but the price on the Flashed units are very tempting. Buying cheap has just bitten me in the behind before, so I'm cautious.

Dropped the good folks at City Rock /MMO an email a while back but all I could glean is they are supposedly produced in th same factory as Mammut gear and are CE certified. No clue on UIAA. The slew of equipment produced in the East that is marked CE but not actually certified just scares the bejeepers out of me. Not that I'm implying these fall in that category. Theres just is not much info out there which bugs me.

Anyone have long/ish term experience with them? Good/bad/ugly feedback? Anybody have a little more on how/where they are produced?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Forket

Re: Flashed quickdraws - info and opinions

Post by Forket » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:32 pm

Go for the AustriAlpin draws from vertical world. Cheaper, lighter and you can get them in any colour. I use to be a fan of the flashed. Cheap and nice to leave on the wall though they dont last.
Attachments
12718373_10154088056280990_1232164465351611843_n.jpg
12718373_10154088056280990_1232164465351611843_n.jpg (236.59 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm

I have a set of 10 Flashed draws. They have been really good to me. Been using them for the last 3.5 years. I have no complaints. Some people have told me that the gates are quite stiff, but this hasn't worried me at all.

I can't comment on any of the certifications, but they haven't failed me yet with despite a few fairly big whippers. Not the lightest, but a decent set of durable sport draws. Good wearing, I see no need to replace them in the near future.

I have also climbed on the Petzl spirits, the Petzl draws feel much nicer, but not enough for the price difference in my opinion.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:30 am

the gates getting stuck should not be an issue; just clean and lube them once in a while (I have had it happen with many other draws).

CragRat

Post by CragRat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:45 am

I have a set of Petzl Djinn and a few sets of the Flash. The Djinn are lighter and require a softer touch to operate. However value for money, the flash are great. The gates are a tad harder to clip but are a real work horse. I have had mine (36 of them) a long time and only have had 2 whose gates get lazy. I dab a very small amount of Q20 into the mechanism and they snap like new.

I personally think that for the grades of climbs in this country we should not even be think about weight or ease of clipping. it's not a factor and if anyone tells you a draw is hard to clip they probably need to get some finger strength training in a hurry :lol:

vander

Post by vander » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:10 am

Wild Country Wild Wire's are still the best value and weight for money in my opinion.
Chuck Norris wears Ueli Steck pyjamas

andrew p

Post by andrew p » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm

I have used them for years. Sure I get them free but honestly they do the job fine. Nice and chunky for grabbing and grease the gate once a year and they last for many. I have found where they rest on the bolt hanger where normally biners slowly wear flashed lasts better than more expensive draws, on par with the Bd. Andrew

AllOfTheKittens

Post by AllOfTheKittens » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:25 am

Good value for money.... Gates are stiff which is the only thing I don't like. The girlfriend took a bad fall trying to get the rope through the gate and refuses to go near them, but they are fine if you're good at clipping :thumright

hh4m

Post by hh4m » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:22 am

Microwires by AustriAlpin are the underdog. Comes in at 79 grams and retails for around R180. This is in contrast to flashed or any other QuickDraw as they all come in at around 140 grams and retail for R 200 - R 400.

Order a couple from Nigel - verticalworld.co.za

I've used them for years and the gates are as snappy as ever!

GClamp

Post by GClamp » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:22 am

Just gave my 4 old ones away.

Besides the gates been stiff, I have also found the rock side gate to pinch.

Wouldn't bother with them if I was you, just my 2 cents.

proze

Post by proze » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:17 am

hh4m wrote:Microwires by AustriAlpin
No keylock, no buy. :thumleft:

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. Some of it confirms my fears. Also, by sheer coincidence, took a trip to Umpukane in the Free State and met someone there that had a few and subsequently played with them. Actually had to force one of the gates shut as it would not close by itself. Definitely not going that route.

Owned a few AustriAlpin wiregate quickdraws a few years back. Gate action was stiffer than I cared for and have also grown to appreciate key lock gates. Looking into their solid gate options from local suppliers and might go that route if pricing is favourable, but will probably just end up spending a bit more and be confident in my purchase.

Thanks again!

CragRat

Post by CragRat » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Jano

Re your last post - Sounds like the person whos draws you tried does not look after them very well. Don't let that cloud your judgement. As you can see in this thread, if the draws are well maintained and "lubed" from time to time they never stick. When a draw sticks badly this is because of physical trauma when the draw was used incorrectly with bad loading, such as over the edge of an overhang where the draw is not hanging freely but when loaded ether one or both are stressed against the rock forcing the wires out of position and bending them. The bend can be so slight you can't see it with the naked eye but it will stick open no matter if you "lube it". This can happen with ANY draw no matter how expensive it is.

Reminder:
I personally think that for the grades of climbs in this country we should not even be think about weight or ease of clipping. it's not a factor and if anyone tells you a draw is hard to clip they probably need to get some finger strength training in a hurry :lol: