Quantcast
It is currently Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Peers Cave Bolts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:52 am 

Whilst on our holiday to South Africa, we sampled a lot of the climbing and was blown away by how good it was! Here is a little story about one of our days! We visited Peers Cave, and did not really have much topo info to go on, (sometimes it is quite nice to just go to a crag and climb what you think looks good). So we did a few routes, and then I tried what I think could be the route 'Trump' (we walked past Amadeus wall under the big overhang with the 9a looking holdless boulder project, then its the first route to the right of this). It looked nice and pumpy however I did take note that the bolts looked pretty shit. So I clipped the first bolt, bouldered out the first moves and got onto the big ledge. Clipped the next two bolts giving them a really good tug on the draw to see if they at least could hold that force, (as I was obviously aware of the corrosion and age of a lot of the metal wear around). I ended up saying take to my partner very tentatively, whilst still holding on at the third bolt. When she pulled the rope tight, the first bolt exploded and snapped (on the bolt shaft/sleeve). I then emptied my trousers and down-climbed the route removing my second and third draws from the route as I went. All very exciting!
I don't think this route or crag gets much attention, but if anyone reads this and knows the guys who are in charge of the re-bolting work, then you may want to pass this info on. They obviously can then decide if the remaining routes here and this in particular are worth re-bolting. This route should not be attempted as it is clearly pretty dangerous, but the lack of the first bolt should deter anyone else the 'added adrenaline factor' I got the privilege to sample!

Post subject: Re: Peers Cave Bolts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:22 am 

Hi Stephen,

Noted thanks. We have a list of routes and when/if they were re-bolted.
I will check this and perhaps try to prioritize Peers for our next re-bolting exercise if the committee all agree.

What you experienced is freaking shit though!

Cheers,
Cuan