Wolwerevier access charge!

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
Thermophage

Wolwerevier access charge!

Post by Thermophage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey guys,

Cuan here from George.
As you guys know we here don't have a HELL of a lot of developed areas, such as in CT.
However, there are a dedicated core bunch of us who are super keen on climbing, exploring and developing new areas.
Already we have found 4 new bouldering area's, a good couple of nice crags and some definate trad potential.
However, all of these need some hectic development, which of course will take time and be coupled with all the usual (I suspect) red tape.

Now to my complaint...
As you all probably know, there's a really nice (IMO) crag here at Wilderness called Wolwerivier.
Access to it has always been exceptionally difficult since I can remember (which noteably is not very long as I have only been climbing a little over a year in any serious manner).
Anyway, so we contacted the farm today and we were told that the owner is now willing to let us climb there.
As you can imagine, we were stoked, as he previously refused outright to let anyone climb (well, anyone we know anyway).
BUT...there is a catch...
He wants to charge R100 for a half days climbing and R150 for a full day...PER PERSON!
Now that is just freaking stupid. He didn't even own the farm when the routes were put up.

I don't know what we can do about this.
Does anybody have any advice (besides finding and developing a new crag please)?
If I am not mistaken I heard somewhere that MCSA had something to do with this crag.

Cheers and thanks for th input,
Cuan

pierre.joubert

Re: Wolwerevier access charge!

Post by pierre.joubert » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Eish bra, I've been bounced out that crag as well.

Private property hey, what can you do?

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 pm

yeah man, private property...what CAN you do?...
Would love to give the freaking owner a lekker PK.
I honestly cannot think of any reason he'd not what people there...
Climbers are not gonna f**k the place up with litter. We're NOT going to sue him if we hurt ourselves climbing, so wtf?

Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

South African landowners are a difficult bunch..

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Thermophage wrote:yeah man, private property...what CAN you do?...
Would love to give the freaking owner a lekker PK.
I honestly cannot think of any reason he'd not what people there...
Climbers are not gonna f**k the place up with litter. We're NOT going to sue him if we hurt ourselves climbing, so wtf?
Have you been to Silvermine, Rocklands or De Pakhuis lately, those places have been well and truly messed up by climbers. Litter and shit (literally) everywhere, so perhaps he is justified in not wanting climbers.

However the fact that he has not simply banned climbing outright and is rather charging a fee implies that he is willing to have climbers on his property. Perhaps an approach by a large group of climbers (or representatives of climbers like the MCSA) could reach a better accommodation? Explain to him that 10 R10's from 10 people add up to the same amount as 1 R100 from one person...
Happy climbing
Nic

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 am

Hey Nic,

I get what you are saying, but I have nt been to Rocklands in over a year, and then only to Plateau and Champside.

However...the problem is that we are like 5 climbers here maximum. But R20 for half a days climbing on routes he had no idea were there until climbers brought it to his attention is just horse poop (he bought the farm from the old owner, who knew and supported the routes).
We are also dealing with the owners "secretary" and cannot get hold of him directly so are getting F***all in the way of answers.

Him wanting to charge R100 per half-day per person says quite the opposite to me ... "I'll just charge them a stupid amount to climb here, which I am sure they won't pay"...
I dont know, I think we just tell this guy to go shove a nive biner us his nought and we go develop another crag.

Does anyone know the owner or had any dealings with him?

Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 am

If access really does become cost prohibitive, might be best to just remove the hangers and develop elsewhere, naturally consulting the first ascensionists before doing so.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 am

Ask to make an appointment to see him perhaps?

Then explain that he can charge what he likes but if no one climbs then he won't make any money at all... Charging for climbing is not new, if you go to any crag in the Cederberg you pay at least R20, some are more. You pay to climb at Silvermine too.

Perhaps he has the wrong idea about most climbers, he thinks that they are made of money rather than (typically) cash strapped students.
Happy climbing
Nic

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 am

Can he see the crag from his house, road or office? or would he have to walk-in?

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 am

And does he have a gun? If yes, what is the range :eye:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 am

lol :P unfortunately you have to drive past his house to get to the crag...
As for a gun...sure he has one and range I don't know :P

Anyway, there are only 2 routes left there I need to try...But it is an awesome crag for beginners IMO.
It is just a pity he is such a twat :(

We dont mind paying to climb, but putting it at R150 for the day where all other places are no more than R20 and maintained...We'd rather just go to Oudtshoorn, it's WAAAAAy cheaper, even including the petrol.

If you look in the route guide for Montague Pass you'll see a 17, 20, 20 and 19 above the road.
We're already developing below the road, albeit on top rope for now.
There is loads of potential around here, we just need to develop it unfortunately. And where there are only 3 of you at the moment it is a little tough :S

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am

Uniondale Pass (lower road) has some good looking crags with zero walk-in. Trad & sport potential. Bit far.

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am

Thermophage - just bear in mind that this is a public forum and (unlikely as it might be) there's nothing preventing the landowner from reading your unflattering opinion of him..
At the chaaaaains boet!!

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

Scotts...He can read it.
He should know what we think of him.
He has been unwilling to negotiate no matter what we have tried in the past anyway.

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 am

Marshall1 wrote:Uniondale Pass (lower road) has some good looking crags with zero walk-in. Trad & sport potential. Bit far.
Hey Derek,

Yeah we have climbed an awesome crag on the Langkloof road about 15km on George side of Oudtshoorn.
The farmer was happy to have us climb there and we need to talk to him about potentially bolting some routes.
But there is insane potential for trad and sport routes up there.
Perhaps we could meet up there sometime when you guys head through to Oudtshoorn?
P.S. give us a heads up next time you go through to Oudtshoorn so we can join you guys.
We go through a fair amount, but it is always nice to climb with others, especially people from my home town :)

Cheers,
Cuan

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 am

Derek, you mean along the R339 between Knysna and Uniondale?

We drove through there on the way back from Oudtshoorn, there's a LOT of rock along that road. Potential for a shitload. Lots of vertical strata, making for good climbable cracks. Rock looks similar to Cogmans' in Montagu.

When we tried to climb at Wolwerivier all we got is a resounding "NO". No you can't phone the owner, no you can't come here, no I won't tell you when you can try again.

The guy owns the property. I suspect there is F-ALL you can do to force him to allow cheap access. I 'd be suprised if he lowers the price, it seems he just wants climbers gone. Go get the hangers maybe, and get cracking elsewhere.

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am

Speaking of crags in that area, we went to bugger around there a little while back at the one I mentioned previously.
Here's a link to a few photo's...hope you guys can open it, please let me know if not.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 688&type=3
But the owner seems keen so far.

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 am

pierre.joubert wrote: When we tried to climb at Wolwerivier all we got is a resounding "NO". No you can't phone the owner, no you can't come here, no I won't tell you when you can try again.
Is this the new owner or the old owner? I contemplated going last time I was in the area, but was put off by access hassles.

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Was April last year, and then again over December last year. I assume the new owner, a Mr Fourie

shorti

Post by shorti » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Mr. Maai Fourie? I think I know that guy...

emile

Post by emile » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm

pierre.joubert wrote:Derek, you mean along the R339 between Knysna and Uniondale?

We drove through there on the way back from Oudtshoorn, there's a LOT of rock along that road. Potential for a shitload. Lots of vertical strata, making for good climbable cracks. Rock looks similar to Cogmans' in Montagu.
Hey Pierre, is that the dirt road mountain pass you're talking about? Lovely stuff there, almost drove off the road a couple of times while gaping :thumright

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

HAHAHA bra jy's nogal snaaks.

Yes exactly that one

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes, the R339 between Uniondale & Avontuur. 6km out of Uniondale on a loverly new tar road.

DamageINC

Post by DamageINC » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Question:
Does the actual crag form part of his property as this is in the ravine and probably forms part of a border.
If not...simply create a new access route / path to the crag that bypasses his property...maybe along the river.

I have climbed several times and it is a fun crag, but @ R150 he can shove it.
Who Dares...Wins (SAS)
Jacques

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 am

Hey...Actually I have no idea on that last question.
Does anyone know where we can get information like that as to where his property ends.

Because if the crag is not on his property then we can cimply just walk up the river bed. Shouldn't be too much mission.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 am

Surveyors office? Deeds office? Try the municipality in George.
Happy climbing
Nic