The Glade -Melville

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
KieranKP

The Glade -Melville

Post by KieranKP » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey guys as a matter of interest, has anyone been to the glade in recent times? Have there been any incidents there recently that you know of? Any precautions? There has been no talk about the glade in ages. Sweet

Justin

Re: The Glade -Melville

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't know the area myself, but here is a post from way back (2008) !

The Glade bouldering safety]The Glade bouldering safety

http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/The_Glade
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

KieranKP

Post by KieranKP » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks Justin

I did see this already, was curious too see if there was any newer info on it, alot can change in 9 years :pirat:

Will get a group together and go check it out :thumright

Thanks

MClay

Post by MClay » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Did any one ever get out to The Glade?

I've searched the old forums and it doesn't seem like much has been reported on The Glade, The Wilds, Northcliff areas for in about 4-8 years. Does any one still go to the CBD areas?

I have been thinking of just going to explore on my own and taking nothing of value with. But if someone wants to meet up (or if there are days when groups are there) I would be keen to hear about it.

Incidentally, I went to Strubens II last Sunday and, based on talking to others at Strubens proper, it doesn't seem like people even know about the bouldering at Strubens II. I talked to a church group that meets each Sunday right beside the trail that leads to Strubens II and they were pretty jovial. Sunday late-morning to mid-afternoon would be a good time to check it out as there would be a large group in an otherwise pretty deserted spot.

ebby

Post by ebby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

hey i have been bouldering at the glade maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years. There will always be the risk of going there due to its location however if you go with enough people you should be okay. There isn't much activity there in terms of climbing (obviously) which means they dont expect to see climbers there. This doesn't mean they are not opportunistic. I went with Russel Hattingh (old school bouldering legend in Jozi, who opened most of the problems there) and everything was fine. However he did bring his dog which definitely helps! if anything it makes you feel a whole lot safer.

The climbing there is surprisingly good (Cape town climbers look away lol) which is why its sad it doesn't get much attention. My advice would be check it out with a group of people and/or a dog and stay vigilant. I hope this is helpful. :)

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

The Wilds will always be dangerous and incredibly risky - and the argument about numbers is not a strong one - maybe 20 or 50 people would be a big enough group but otherwise you are kidding yourself. I recall climbers being attacked and stabbed at the Wilds a few years ago - so unless you are young, dumb and full of attitude - just forget it. I suppose if you look like a vagrant and don't have any gear you may get away with it but otherwise be sensible and stay away from such high risk areas.

Similarly Melville Koppies- you need to park where your car is safe and walk in and even then the risk is high - you are isolated in an area unfrequented by anyone other than displaced people and zionists. I am sure I recall robbery at knifepoint there as well. If the climbing was of sufficient quality you could lay on your own armed guard but it isn't so its not worth the stupid risk you would be taking.

Northcliff on the other hand is miles better. There should be security present at the top and generally there are a lot more people moving around there, not that that necessarily improves your safety.

Strubens has an MCSA appointed carguard that is subsidised by them. Generally the climbing is safe until dark. A much better option, with considerably less risk. Even Strubens 2 is lower risk, even if it is because of its unfrequented locality. Dunno about bouldering as its not really climbing...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

KieranKP

Post by KieranKP » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 am

Whats wrong with zionists? Why is bouldering not really climbing?

MClay

Post by MClay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

Young, dumb and full of attitude! - I qualify on two accounts at any given time. Looking like a vagrant can be arranged too with minimal effort. I guess the best bet would be to go disguised as a group of Zionists with a pack of Dobermans. The bouldering pads could probably fit under the robes with a bit of ingenuity.

Thanks for the information about actually climbing at the spots in question though! :hapban

I'm all for being safe and spreading the word, but a casual observation on the forums of the difference between the Gauteng and Cape Town scene: When actual muggings take place in CT there is a report and follow up on FB or this forum; when people look to get info about potentially sketchy spots in Gauteng (or even Boven) there is always a "memory" of something that happened years ago and everyone stays away (I guess?) based on things that happened last decade. All of climbing (even bouldering :thumleft: ) contains an element of risk management, no?

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

Sorry Kieran - you responded to my nasty jab- just joking about the bouldering.

Zionists are not the problem - in the context of what I was saying I was trying to explain that they are the only ones other than vagrants and displaced people that will be there. I do think that Comprehension lessons should be offered on this website...maybe as one of these ads on the side - Justin?

The Dobermans should work. I suspect the Zionists also look like victims to some...

You are so right Mc Clay - strap on your Rolex and go get us some new JHB statistics...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...