Yellowwood Update

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
GClamp

Re: Yellowwood Update

Post by GClamp » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Peers Cave also has some "interesting" names.

Try having a conversation, when a 10 year old at the crag asks you if you have climbed "Fu@k me Amadeus". Can be awkward. :shock:

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Or Endless Blowjob in Boven. Mr Margets thought himself so cleaver with that one.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 pm

ja i think we can stray into the grey spaces now & i'd be careful to not embark on a witchhunt for any offensive route names. my take on this:
1. stuff that is out-of-bounds: misogyny, hate speech, racism, anything that adds some gloss to any crime against humanity. oh, and lameness (the worst!)
2. oh the rudeness (or a lack of creativity for that matter): vulgar & obscene language; sexually explicit themes
3. hey everybody i'm from parow (or pretending to be): foul language

in my view the climbing community should simply refuse to accept anything in 1. change the wiki; change the guidebooks; whatever.

2 & 3 is people's own business (and is sometimes worth a chuckle or a raised eyebrow). but then you should be happy to take the heat of public opinion.

i still look at guidebooks and get a feel for the route & the setting; and a peculiar joy when some thought & creativity was in the mix when naming the climb. celestial journey, oceans of fear, endless summer, madiba, alone in space, private universe, automatic for the people, sands of time, splinter in the mind's eye, jacob's ladder, stairway to heaven, dogs of thunder, australopithecus and the last of the great explorers etc. etc.
Last edited by mokganjetsi on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XMod

Post by XMod » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:37 am

Sod being all PC. PCism is a undercover plot by would be world leaders to stifle freedom of speech and quash criticism, thus easing their path to total control. Play into their hands if you will with all this PC nonsense - but count me out.

There is absolutely no reason for a route name to be 'dignified', although I may add that it reflects on the state of mind of the FA at the time of naming.

Snort name your routes whatever you want just NOTHING MORE with the word 'time' in it OK?

proze

Post by proze » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Mok's last post. :thumleft:

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:14 pm

The Yellowwood route book is coming along pretty well and although it will require refinement it cannot be edited by readers. So please post comments, corrections and criticisms as needed. Compliments are nice but not necessary. You can always buy me a drink.

This guide book is for free and will not be printed. However, there is a move afoot to secure access ad infinatum to Yellowwood so do the right thing and make an equivalent donation to the MCSA and call it Yellowwood fund. A decent route book costs around R200 these days.

Finally, many climbers have over the years put in a lot of time and effort into making YW user friendly and a lot of effort has also gone into maintaining the very adventurous character of the place. A perennial supply of water has been secured which completely changes the paradigm of climbing there.

Please do not abuse the place or the routes.

Do not bolt! Period.

Be careful with cookers

Get rid of you shit very carefully. Leave no toilet paper please! Do not burn it.

Most importantly enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/site/theworlda ... oute-guide

SNORT

Yellowwood Crack grade 10 to 15

Post by SNORT » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:24 pm

On Thursday (seeing as I am meant to be training for the Dolomites and joining a couple of really strong lads that happen to have climbed the North Face of the Eiger a few days ago (Rob Powell and Paul Maine), I donned my clunky mountain boots and carried some kit up to water spot at Yellowwood. I then took a rack and ropes and climbed Yellowwood crack solo in about an hour or so. It was done many years ago and graded good "D" but that is if you really stick to the easy but grotty gully on the right at the start. If you stay left of the gulley it is really a very pleasant climb on mostly excellent rock at grade 10 to 15 depending on where you go. I found some tat and one peg along the way.

I highly recommend this as a very pleasant outing for beginners or those that prefer to climb the likes of Frazers, Arrow Final and Right Face on TM. I managed the walk in 70 minutes and the descent in 50 minutes.
Attachments
Yellowwood Crack web res.jpg
Yellowwood Crack web res.jpg (154.55 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

SNORT

Timerity Abseil improved

Post by SNORT » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:25 pm

The Timerity Abseil has a been improved and beefed up. There is now an extra point between no 2 and 3 points. The extra point is safer as there is a ledge to stand on and the take-off is easier. 60m ropes do get you down but the 4th point is still there if required for shorter ropes.
Attachments
Yellowwood stock Feb 2014 Timerity and Divine with new rap route web res.jpg
Yellowwood stock Feb 2014 Timerity and Divine with new rap route web res.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

GeorgeHorn

Post by GeorgeHorn » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Descended this again yesterday. God bless you Snort! (Somehow there is not an atheist way of saying that...)

SNORT

Yellowwood Wiki Update

Post by SNORT » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:40 pm

I have at last (after spending most of my Sunday doing so) posted a hopefully, reasonablyaccurate Photo Topo of the trad routes on the main Yellowwood amphitheatre on the WIKI as well as some improvements and updates of some other route topos and descriptions.

A higher resolution version as a power-point can be requested from me via a PM.

This labour of love is done gratis so please do your bit and care for the place and add some value by donating to the ARF or helping to maintain trails and access.
Yellowwood main wall routes low res.jpg
Yellowwood main wall routes low res.jpg (161.24 KiB) Viewed 911 times