Whats up with RadioActive???

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
markde101

Whats up with RadioActive???

Post by markde101 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Went to RadioActive by Harties this weekend.

At first glance, there are very unforgiving climbs everywhere, 2 to 3 bolts before getting to the top,On most of the climbs, distance between ground and bolt 1 are the same distance as bolt 1 to 2 distance. So if you come off between 1 and 2, u will hurt yourself bad,The climbs we bailed out on were due to being psyched out by the fear and lack of confidence in our climbing skills(because of the bolt spacing). It seems as if the radioActive climbs arent used that often,as there arent many chalk lines to follow, many holds being dusty. The grading doesnt seem right either , there were 15s there that seemed like they could easily be 17(mostly because of the lack of bolts).

Is there any plans to rebolt/clean up RadioActive. Try and get climbers back there,as we were the only ones there.

The climbs that we did finish were pretty cool.This area would be a pity to go to waste

Regards
M

Forket

Re: Whats up with RadioActive???

Post by Forket » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 pm

chosspile

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 am

Last edited by Marshall1 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm

In this case...Ebert is right....

Do not waste your time trying to bolt/ fix up this venue as the rock quality is BAD...all you will do is lure unsuspecting newbies to their death...

I am sure this was posted recently & the sentiment was clear...leave it alone...

Maybe in a few years someone will invent a way of spraying the rock with something that makes it strong & hard but until such a time....
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

proze

Post by proze » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

It's a seldom-visited area for sure. And Ebert's not wrong, Chosspile is heaps better. But if you do want to go to Radioactive, please don't go and overbolt it. I've climbed there before and don't remember it being unduly scary. The grades are also okay - climbing onsight with no chalk is always going to be harder. So brush the holds, climb onsight and have fun! If something's too hectic, get stronger! :thumleft:

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Every time I have been there I have either heard or seen rock come crashing down. Sometimes big enough to render a helmet useless. So I have to agree radioactive is in my opinion choss. I don't know so much about the bolting though. Seemed fine to me.
I