Thabaphaswa - Unknown route

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
AndrewSport

Thabaphaswa - Unknown route

Post by AndrewSport » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi there.

I am wondering if anyone has any info about the route on the boulder next to the fireplace in Dome Rock camp?
BB, FA, name of the route and the grade if you have it.

Someone said it was about grade 19 and we had a hell of a surprise when we tried it (hou my bier, check hierdie trick).
The start (crux) is monster and i am guessing 21-23 at least. Perhaps a crucial hold came of??

A friend has bolted a few new routes here and we are updating the RD as he goes along and it would be nice to add some detail about this route as well.

Thanx

JonoJ

Re: Thabaphaswa - Unknown route

Post by JonoJ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I've done that one..... while my belayer made the braai and cracked the beers. Careful not to melt your slack if you do that :drunken:

Felt it to be about 21 (the first move or two).... although I was a bit inebriated (the joys of a route next the braai at one's chalet), and it was about 11 years ago.... so who knows really. No idea who opened either. So I guess I've not been much help at all really. :?

swissphotography

Re: Thabaphaswa - Unknown route

Post by swissphotography » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Thats a legendary "get drunk and climb it" route. I also remember drinking a bottle of Jack around the fire one night and at midnight decided that it was a good route to climb via headlamp. Somehow I managed to flash the route (fingers were clearly numb to the pain of the teeny sharp crimpers). The next morning when sober I couldn't red point the route so had to haul on the draws to get them down! Felt about 21/22 at the time but the little holds were always shedding.