Abseil Bolt Failure ?

Techniques for all kinds of climbing, Learn new moves. Share your training secrets, find out how other people are getting strong, and get motivated!
Mark

Abseil Bolt Failure ?

Postby Mark » Thu May 04, 2006 5:52 pm

I recently climbed my first multi-pitch, but what was more scary than going up was coming down. When I lead I have the comfort of knowing that if I fall and a bolt lets go, I have another couple below me.

BUT while I was hooked in at the chains watching my buddy abseil down, the chains made a thrilling creaking sound and the idea struck me. If these two bolts let go (there are only two bolts) I'm following you down (there's a song in there somewhere).

Is there anything to do to make it safer or should I just shut and enjoy the ride?

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Thu May 04, 2006 5:57 pm

Close your eyes & enjoy the ride...feeling glad that there are two anchors & that you are not ab-ing off some trad route with bits of tat wrapped around bushes.

Grigri

Postby Grigri » Thu May 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Huh? Yeah wondering if both bolts are going to break is a bit like worrying about your rope snapping or the belay carabiner breaking :? It doesnt happen!!! Trust your gear or you will never enjoy climbing. As Derek says rapping off two stonking bolts is a lot happier than rapping of some measly bush, watching the roots slowly lift out the ground as your partner goes over the edge! :shock: Been there - survived.

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri May 05, 2006 8:55 am

Thanks - we have spoken about trad climbing sometime in the future (when our b$#lls get bigger) I like the idea of being able to climb anything and not having to have bolts preplaced - but abseiling off bushes? :shock: Are there any routes with well grown yellowwoods at the top :lol: - Feelng better about abbing off the bolts already.

Return to “Climbing Techniques & Training”