Fernkloof

Techniques for all kinds of climbing, Learn new moves. Share your training secrets, find out how other people are getting strong, and get motivated!
Crouching Cricket

Fernkloof

Postby Crouching Cricket » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Guys,

I am heading off to Fernkloof this weekend to sample some of the climbing there and I'm hoping that someone can help with some route info. There is a section of rock either between the lower area and mirror mirror area or just after the mirror mirror area (Been a while so I forgot where exactly it is). There a number of routes on this section of rock that aren't on the route guide; does anyone know info about these climbs?

Thanks,

Matt

Heinrich

Re: Fernkloof

Postby Heinrich » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

There is one addition to the lower section of Fernkloof, a project by Neil Margetts - a link-up between True Sailing is Dead and Lawyers, Guns and Money.

On the Mirror-Mirror wall (Middle sector), there are two "new" routes:
Bambi and the Broken Leg 22 is just to the right of Erik Rieman's open-book 26. It follows the rightmost crack and onto the arete. great route.
Just right (and around the corner) of Bambi, you will find an unknown and very technical 19 - good warm-up. good route.

On the far left of the Mirror-Mirror section you will find Paul Brouard's ultra-hard Aqualung - this is the leftmost line. Goes at 32 or so. Right of this is Andrew Pedley's project - think it's open, but check with him. Will be VERY hard, in the regions of 32, i guess? to the right of this you'll find the classic Acromax 29, and just right of Acromax there are two new routes - both bolted by Neil. Their crades are in the regions of 24/25. One's name is Lost Ruby (Neil's African Grey escaped when he bolted it...), don't know the other's name. Both are fun routes, not to be under-estimated!

That's about it. Not much more space for new routes, it's filled to the brim!

shorti

Postby shorti » Wed May 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Heinrich wrote:Just right (and around the corner) of Bambi, you will find an unknown and very technical 19 - good warm-up. good route.
It's name is Reflected Sins - also one of Neil's routes if I'm not mistaken.

Crouching Cricket

Postby Crouching Cricket » Fri May 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey, so let me get this straight.... Aqualung, Andrew pedley project, Lost ruby, unknown route by neil, Thunderstruck, unknown 22, The favourite game F2 corner.... Where does bambi fit in? What routes am I missing in the mirror mirror area? Also What is the name of the far left route @ the lower area? very awekward 18...? left of silver studded phantom motorcycle queen?

Return to “Climbing Techniques & Training”