Trad course

Techniques for all kinds of climbing, Learn new moves. Share your training secrets, find out how other people are getting strong, and get motivated!
Damage

Trad course

Post by Damage » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:23 pm

Howdy guys
Created a new thread to keep the other one clean
Is anyone keen to join me on all or one of these 2 day courses broken up over Probably 8-12 weeks
2 days climbing intro
2 days trad second
2 days trad lead

I'm not offering the course I'm looking for guys to share the costs with as most guides / instructors have a daily rate (R2500-R3000 )rand a day
The intro course can be max 5 guys to one guide R 1000 -1250 pp
Second course 4-1 R1250-1500 pp
and the lead 2-1 R2500-3000pp

Let me know if you are keen
Tx
/d

Damage

Re: Trad course

Post by Damage » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:41 pm

Well that didn't quite work as planned :0(

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 am

Damage, why don't you offer your wit, fine company and excellent culinary skills to an experienced trad climber? I do believe climbing is an excuse for a memorable picnic, and lacking the trad climbing skills you could easily offer the other components of a great day on the hill. If you lack these skills you could offer door-to-crag lift service, gear portage, world class belaying (and other caddying services), a will to follow up any route (aiders recommended). You will be surprised how many climbers there are out there desperate to find someone to join them on a route they alone are keen to do.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Damage

Post by Damage » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:22 pm

warren that's a great idea
ill add free kitesurfing lessons :0)
I was just hoping to have a little bit more "structured/planned "teaching under my belt before I did exactly that
in kitesurfing the IKO certified instructors have a way better success and safety record than just being taught by a mate that really just wants to go kite /Climb
/d

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:39 am

Similarly in Diving.

Somehow though most people's interest in self preservation actually help them find a worthy tutor - which in time immemorial has been the way people learnt things - through apprenticeships. Ok you don't want this thread cluttered and we have already gone off on this tangent, so to my point - Formal training and qualifications (just like in diving) means courses need to be paid for so that the instructor can afford to do the required training SO it will always be a financial conundrum which you have already addressed by calling for other participants in formal courses applied to climbing BUT that doesn't mean that climbers are less safe then someone who has done a formal course - just less regulated...

All the right information and instruction is available through people like the mountain club, MDT and experienced climbers and this is by no means inferior to any formalised certification system out there - just requires a little more effort on your side.

It is also why we have forum discussions about best practices...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:39 am

not dissing formal courses - to the contrary i think it is an excellent idea - but my guess is 90% of regular trad climbers learned their trade from other climbers, books and nowadays the vast amount of info on the interwebs. spending a bit of time with google and perhaps getting your hands on John Long's Advanced Rock Climbing will give you a good theoretical base; and you can practice most of the stuff at the local sport crag with a few elementary bits of equipment. then follow Warren's suggestion.

learning the very basics: how gear works; how to place gear & rope work; how to build a safe stance and how to abseil can be done in a day or so. learning how to deal with the million non-normal situations & things that can go wrong takes a lifetime - so get started :)