Side effects when washing your rope

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
stephan

Side effects when washing your rope

Postby stephan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:31 pm

I have a Lanex Altea (6 months old) which I washed last week for the first time. I washed it three times in clean water, the fourth time I added 2 teaspoons of Bio Classic (used for normal clothes) and I then rinsed it twice. My owners manual states: \"Soap or soap flakes are best for washing rope.\". I hanged my rope to dry for four days.

I used my rope today for the first time after it has been washed, and there were two things that worried me :(
The first is that the rope now has this bitter taste when you put the rope in your mouth, to take up slack when clipping. Trust me, you taste it very well :!:

And the other is that the rope now runs a lot quicker through your hands and belay device than it used to. The rope also has this strange feel of plastic, but the rope has never been damaged, burned whilst belaying, nor was the rope that dirty :!:

My question is should I be worried about the bitter taste :?: Has anybody had the same experience :?:
And about the rope running quicker. Will it return to normal after some use, or is it a normal side effect for a rope that has been washed for the first time :?:

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:34 am

My rope also always tasts bitter after washing. The bitter taste does go away though & is a good reminder not to put it in my mouth during cliping.

What causes the bitter taste?

stephan

Postby stephan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:45 am

I have contacted Lanex to get their comments on the bitter taste. Will post their reply as soon as I receive it.

Marshall, its good to know that bitter taste goes away after a while. It really sucks! What rope do you have?

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:28 am

Not sure actuly. Have quite a few ropes. I think they are Edelrid, Beal & some Polish Brand. All that I ever washed had the unbearable taste.

stephan

Postby stephan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Lanex have responded to my email, here is what Jiri Gazda (product manager) had to say:

\"It could be that the bitter taste is due to standard treatment you have washed from your rope. We buy our fibers that have already been treated by our supplier. It could be that this bitter taste is due to this washing out. If you have washed your rope under conditions mentioned in our instruction manual, with neutral solutions this should not change the safety parameters of the rope.\"

Hope this info helps..[/quote]

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”