Best Climbing Destinations for June

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
SeanStone

Best Climbing Destinations for June

Postby SeanStone » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi everyone, my friends and I will be traveling to South Africa for the month of June. I was hoping for some advice on the the crags and destinations that we don't want to miss out on. We sport and trad climb up to grade 30, and would like to focus on rope climbing primarily. Preferably a good mix of single pitch sport and trad with some mulitpitch/adventure days as well. We are also looking for advice on non climbing adventures we should embark on for our rest days. Any and all advice is welcome!

schmeh

Re: Best Climbing Destinations for June

Postby schmeh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Durban has some pretty good winter crags, with the largest being umgeni valley. Plus Durban has a ton of touristy stuff to do, and you can visit the beach on rest days!

here's a video of the sport climbing at umgeni

https://vimeo.com/127899952

Mikey

clickbutt

Postby clickbutt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:47 pm

June is awesome climbing pretty much anywhere in South Africa.
Cool temperatures with no rain (except in Cape Town region which gets winter rain)
Rocklands (bouldering), Boven, Harrismith, Swinburne are some good options - the first two the most famous.

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 am

schmeh wrote:Preferably a good mix of single pitch sport and trad with some mulitpitch/adventure days as well. We are also looking for advice on non climbing adventures we should embark on for our rest days.

Rocklands will cover all that - James Pearson & co opened a whole bunch of single pitch trad lines and there is enough sport as well. Within an hour's drive from Rocklands there is amazing multi-pitch trad, but it might be too cold at altitude.

Do spend some time in Cape Town as well if you opt for the western cape - it may be rainy season but most days are actually good weather. On the iconic Table Mountain there is some fantastic trad and there are some good sport crags as well.

Durban, Waterval Boven and Montagu are all excellent winter destinations as well.

Personally, if I had a month, I would do a week in Cape Town, week in Montagu and two weeks in Rocklands / Cederberg - all within a 250km radius.

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/vie ... -rocklands

Old Smelly

Postby Old Smelly » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 am

I think it is misleading to say that most days in Cape Town are good in winter but that is your opinion.

In reality it would be better to tell tourists to focus on Boven and Natal and to not expect too much from the Cape at that time of the year (sure I think Cedarberg or Montague will be fine) but the balance is all wrong in terms of day to day climbing -I am not trying to be unfair just to point out that a tourist will be able to climb every day at Boven in June and there are no such guarantees with winter in the Cape.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:32 am

Old Smelly wrote:I think it is misleading to say that most days in Cape Town are good in winter but that is your opinion.

it rains on average 9 out of 30 days during June in CT. Not my opinion; statistics :) i concur however that your number of climbing days will probably be half of the good weather days.
https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... uth-Africa

Again, if it was the seriously-biased-me, I would base myself in the Western Cape and work my itinerary according to the weather forecast. It's not improbable to have a string of good days in CT; I honestly prefer the CT winter to the blustery & sweltering summer. And in terms of variety I do not think any other area offers quite as much.

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:26 am

Mok, with respect have you ever climbed in KZN in Winter? I argue Durban is the best place in RSA for winter climbing, but probably the biggest problem is the people above are looking for harder trad, while KZN tends to offer more sport- yes yes with Monties etc being fantastic exceptions.

Free state in winter is often miserably cold or windy and Boven CAN be very cold, but that tends to be more in July.

As you are capable of the grades I would also spend some time in the Berg on the harder classics like Paradigm Shift, etc.

The other rad place in winter that gets completely forgotten about is Wit Umfolozi, my recommendation is fly into DBN, spend a few days there then head up to Boven via a few days in either the berg or Umfolozi- tick the Safari box on the way through too.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

henkg

Postby henkg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Avoid the big trad venues in CT in June...is cold man!
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

Gustav

Postby Gustav » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:25 pm

As Warren said, KZN crags, hike or climb in the Drakensberg on the way to 'Boven and pop into the Kruger National Park, throw some beach time and White Umf in there and you have an amazing round trip! But plan to spend more time in 'Boven, its good, it's good value and we like it :hapban

And the weather ... https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... uth-Africa / https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... uth-Africa

Bon voyage!
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Viking

Postby Viking » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Being based in KZN I concur with what Warren said.

Old Smelly

Postby Old Smelly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Maybe we should have a best province per season competition! I just know that we can basically climb in Magalies every day of the year - not something that can be said for Natal (rain & humidity in summer) or Cape Town (really bad winter weather and quite bad a lot of the time in summer too if we are honest... :thumright - wind etc.) This is not to be insulting but factual -Justin what a about some sort of infographic? The highest bidder gets to say their area/ province is the best... :jocolor:

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 am

hey guys i'm not dissing KZN - on all accounts a magical winter climbing destination. Boven is a bit drab and dusty in winter - i much prefer autumn - but you can bank on great climbing weather.

i think however there is this misconception that summer is the best time to climb in the western cape. it is not. hot as hell and / or a gale to match. think about it, winter is best season for rocklands, montagu, karoo crags and hellfire. the big trad crags will be too cold & the peninsula is definitely not great in winter, but i have had some magic days in a balmy winter sun of africa ledge or silvermine / the mine. i do not think doing a western cape inland climbing trip in june is a bad call at all.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Having climbed in the Western Cape for just over 40 years now I can confidently say that I look forward to the winter climbing season, and endure the hot, windy summer. Obviously the high altitude Cederberg stuff is best in summer, but most other areas are great in winter.
The problem is, we as locals have the luxury of time if a series of cold fronts does come marching in. The poor visitor on a short trip is taking a bit of a gamble. They may experience the best climbing conditions of the year, or they may suffer days of endless rain. But, as Mok says, the rain stats speak for themselves. It is a hell of a lot drier down here than many northerners think. Just ask the Cape, and up-country, kayakers who gets to paddle the most!

Old Smelly

Postby Old Smelly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:46 am

Once again I am pretty sure I can climb and Kayak about 360 days of the year in Gauteng - so I doubt your track record can beat that!

Still you guys make some valid points -for a local I am sure there are ways and methods for avoiding bad weather in the Cape - I still contend that for a visitor to Cape Town in June there may be some frustration. Maybe you guys can put together some sort of visitors guide as to what to do if you are a visitor climber in the Cape in June i.e. Monday morning and a wind is blowing - you can go climb on one side of Lions head, Tuesday it is raining - drive to Montague where it is dry, or it's been raining for a week but you can drive to Cedarberg for a weekends climbing - that sort of thing...

Rastaman

Postby Rastaman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:54 am

Ssssshhhh
Best kept secret in the country is that Cape Town weather is not as bad as GP thinks.
Let's let them keep believing it. Helps them cope.

SNORT

Postby SNORT » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 am

June is good anywhere in South Africa except the high Cederberg (Tafelberg and Wolfberg) and it can be very cold in Oudtshoorn and Monatagu. Blouberg and Yellowwood are fantastic for harder trad.

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”