Climbing Ethics in the Drakensburg

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Michaelt

Climbing Ethics in the Drakensburg

Postby Michaelt » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I have been let to believe that Chalk is no allowed to be used when climbing routes in the Berg.

Which is fine by me, as I am all for Ethics & "most" routes in the berg are rather chilled grade wise anyway....

But....

What if the so called route in the berg is Bolted? ( the route in paticular, PARADIGMS SHIFT, on the SENTINEL )

Do ethics still apply?

marley

Re: Climbing Ethics in the Drakensburg

Postby marley » Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I have climbed with Chalk in the Berg before. He is a nice guy although his dog can be a handful if you don't know him. Susan is also cool.

Seriously though, I have not hear of a chalk ban in the Berg. The ethics thing in the Berg is because of the World Hertitage status, meaning that no bolting is allowed in this area. The Sentinal falls outside the Heritage site if I am not mistaken.

Camp

Postby Camp » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Yes - by the book it is, in what is called 'primitive wilderness areas' and maybe even 'wilderness areas'.

When you pack your bag, put your chalk bag in the bottom of the pack in a bag labelled 'Milk Powder'.

Similarly, put your pegs in a bag labelled "Vitamins : Iron".

Your hammer is for protection against Basut's because you are not allowed a gun.

Your power drill, snugly packed at the bottom of the bag is used to recharge your torch batteries.

But the likelihood of anyone ever checking is 10 000/1. I have never heard of this happening.

I went to a meeting with the Ezemvelo KZN when they were formulating their policy. It is rather complex, and they did not really know what climbing was all about, but in effect changes nothing in what we do, excepty some shiny rap anchors of some trade routes within the wilderness areas.

Also, bear in mind that chalky hands make it harder to grip grass.

Chalk

Postby Chalk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:26 am

*&^%$!!!! well then .. I'll just climb somewhere else....

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”