Quantcast
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: George - Wolwerivier
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi

I'm heading off to George for a week saturday, and was wondering about the sports crag at Wolverrivier??? Not sure exactly about the name, but its near Wilderness. Is this still open, and can anyone tell me how to arrange access if it is??

Regards

Jeff A. :)

Post subject: Re: George - Wolwerivier
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm 

Hi Jeff - 'bin a long time!

Take a look in Tony's Western Cape Rock guide book on p183. It says to phone Marius de Waal on 083 564 6705.

Are you cranking? Still on the radio?

best,
Hilton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:05 am 

Hey Hilton!! Good to hear from you, the man who took me to this crag when it was still a trad area! :-) Still climbing, not sure crankin is the right word?? :) And yes, still doing the sports stuff on Cape Talk.

Will try this number, cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 pm 

Wolverivier is still open. its requires a call to the appropriate people and it helps to be a MCSA member. if you not a MCSA member the owner or his manager will not allow you in. Unfortunately Marius is no longer the person to call. Rob Stewardson is the correct person to call 0824621451, however he is off visiting his guru in India. Dave Jones will by default be the next person to harass 044 - 343 1407. If you do want to climb at wolverivier you need to organise the permit on Thursday or latest Friday morning to get in for the weekend. it is also subject if the owner is there or not. don't try just pitch you will be chased away. A word on that, for those that carry more attitude than brains don't f...k it up for the rest of the climbing community by bad mouthing the guards or the manager. it is a privilege to climb there not a right.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 pm 

Thnks Drew. I spoke to Dave, was very cool about it, but unfortunately the land owners are in town for the month, so no access until they are gone again. Will have to make a plan B, and find some bouldering somewhere. :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:48 pm 

I saw some boulders close to the road at the junction of N9 & R62 (close to Uniondale). They look large enough. Haven't heard of them being climbed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:38 am 

you can try the old Montague pass, leaving George to Outshoorn- Road to Herold. there are some bolts in the obvious rock on the right. nothing to jump up and down about but im sure it will raise the heart rate at least.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:03 am 

And if you cross the road and go up the hill a little there are a handfull of 18 -21's I put up ten years ago if no one has stolen the bolts.

matt.