Att Port Elizabeth climbers

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Rickfabio

Att Port Elizabeth climbers

Post by Rickfabio » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm in the process of researching the financial viability of opening a climbing gym in the colleen glen area.
My questions are:
1: Do you think there is a big enough market for a gym in p.e (how many climbers are in the p.e area?)

2: How much would you be willing to pay in membership fees? And would you rather pay a monthly/yearly rate or pay for a session card? (in jhb it's R500 for 10 sessions, i realise it's excessive and p.e would have to be substantially less)

3: How far are you willing to travel to a gym?

4: How often would you frequent the gym in a month?

Any input would be appreciated. I hope there's a market for it....
Regards
Rick

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:24 pm

This has been discussed at length for the last 10 years. Infact its a banned subject at MCSA comittee.

There are not that many active climbers in PE. 15 is an absolute max(active = lead 1 route a month!). There may be more who have a harness & climb once in a while, more who would express verbal intrest. I have a boulder wall in East London & at one stage considered moving it to PE. When I asked around then, most said I should not bother & they are not that intrested. There are 2 or 3 climbers that still use it once/twice a week.

There is a new private climbing gym at the air base, but you will need to crack the nod.

Most climbers in PE recognize that not enough time is spent at existing natural areas to warrent an artificial wall. There is bouldering at Happy Valley, the Dungeon, Slipper, Freddie & Prophets Cave. Most of these venues see little or no trafic even in summer.

Collen Glen is quite far out. Most climbers I know would contine to the Slipper, which has stunning boulders. I do hope you are thinking boulder cave as aposed to top rope wall.

I can make a list of all the proposed climbing walls in PE's history but I will send it to you off line.

Rickfabio

Re: Att Port Elizabeth climbers

Post by Rickfabio » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply....
Is this private wall at the airbase still going? if so, would you know any contact numbers i could reach them with?
Thanks

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 am

There are not many climbers because there is no climbing wall...
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Rickfabio

Post by Rickfabio » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 am

Exactly my point gustav....
i speak for myself and my wife, but we would climb in a gym 90% more than on the rock. It's more convenient, esp with no support and two tottlers here, A fantastic workout, better than pumping weights, and safer for beginners. And A climbing gym will get more people hooked on the sport. i know EVERY single person i've introduced to climbing in a gym when i lived in jhb was looking for their own gear the very next day.
Come on p.e.....we need a gym!!!
Untill then, i think i'll convert my basement into my own personal cave:)

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am

on a slightly different issue: i buddy of mine moved to PE 4 months ago; he is still a beginner but really amped on climbing (has all the sport gear; climbs around 20; very safe belayer) - he's not active on the forum but i know he would love to connect with other climbers in the PE area. he visited CT this past weekend and we spent a whole day climbing; trying to catch-up on 4-months of lost time :)

so, if you're a kind hearted soul willing to pull a complete stranger into the climbing fold, pls pm me and i will try to get him connected. very nice guy - honest, safe, friendly and loves adventure.

obrigado!
mok

DBez

Post by DBez » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Mok! :afro:

He can email me at finance@mayibuyefishing.co.za. We sent out a weekly report of climbing news to everyone in the Eastern Cape who's on the list for current plans and past events.

Dricus

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:16 pm

If a climbing gym is sustainable over the long term in George and PMB then i can't see why a PE gym couldn't work, but maybe wait a year and see how those others are going before commiting. PE wouldn't be my first choice location, but then neither would a farm 20mins east of Pretoria so who are we to judge?
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Attachments
JD Training.JPG
JD Training.JPG (99.13 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
JD on new wall.jpg
JD on new wall.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Last edited by Marshall1 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rickfabio

Post by Rickfabio » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 am

WOW Derek!!!
Me wants one of those!!!
Thanks for the offer.....sheesh with that setup my wife would kill me cos i'd be in the garage any minute i got, fortunately she's just as addicted to training....but someones gotta look after the babies:)

I'd love to pick your brain, i have a basement i'd love to do something like this with, also a double story wall i'm keen to build something on, but i need some advise before i have my wife and kids climbing on something i've built.
I have been stocking up on grips for some time now, but i'm not sure how many i'd need, and also placement would take me some time.......but i guess trial and error ain't such a bad thing.

Where about in p.e are you situated? i don't drink........so no worries there:)

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Wyntonf123

Post by Wyntonf123 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Hey guys i was hoping someone knew some information on any bouldering gyms or spots in port elizabeth or any surrounding areas? Any info will be appreciated :)

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:49 am

PE is finally getting a commercial indoor wall, it opens today check out http://www.easterncaperockclimbing.co.z ... -elizabeth