[POLL] Bains guide

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!

In what format should the new Bains Kloof and Groot Winterhoek Guide be published?

Online Publication
1
8%
Book form
0
No votes
both
11
92%
 
Total votes: 12

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

[POLL] Bains guide

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:39 pm

I was thinking of calling it Boland Bouldering. What are your views??

scottnoy
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 am

Postby scottnoy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:28 pm

I think you're on drugs Bru!

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:26 am

Hard drugs bru. Oh \"chalk-less\" one...

Guy
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 12:48 pm
Real Name: Guy Holwill
Location: Cape Town

Postby Guy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks for the effort - I look forward to checking the place out.

Having written a guide or 2 - the only thing you can be sure of is that any guide (book or www) will mean that more people will go to the area. More people = more impact.

Have you guys sorted out access? Please include the access arrangements in the guide.
There's no point being pessimistic, because it probably won't work

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 am

Ok once and for all: There is no bouldering in Groot Winterhoek so i realy don't know what SA man is planning on putting in his so called guide.

Secondly: The whole of Bainskloof is off limits to climbing and mostly also hiking, so if you are planning on climbing there, you will be doing so illegally.

Plain and simple.

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Ok so there is no guide. The fact is there a bunch of people who climb at these area(s) all the time. I personally think they're are behaving like a bunch of 6 year olds who have just found a secret tree house and talk a bunch of BS when asked about it to prevent people from going there. If your trying to prevent people from going there because you think it's YOUR special little place, well I'm sorry but I think thats just stupid because first of all, you don't own the place, secondly, your posting it to 8a.nu which doesn't really keep it a secret. If you don't want people to go there because of access issues then fricken say so. Most people know how sensitive access can be and will respect it. The only reason I've been posting this crap about a guide is to show you how childish it is.

PS. I've had my sweat ducts removed under my arm pits so I don't need chalk

willpower
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: computer

Postby willpower » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:26 pm

you dont need a guide to boulder

if you have eyes you will see them

if you want to climb them, the only thing that will stop you is your own weakness

all work and no play makes jack go something something

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Re:

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:54 pm

willpower wrote:you dont need a guide to boulder


How long has it taken you guys to develope and find all the problems? 3/4 years on and off? You want someone to find the problems all over again when he can do it in day with a guide. Rocklands took 12 years to develope to where it is today. If it wasn't for a guide and word of mouth we'd still be sitting with only campside and roadside.

Yes you don't need a guide to boulder but it sure makes things a hell of a lot easier.

brolloks
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 am

Postby brolloks » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:33 pm

i must say that i agree with sa man about the sillyness/kind-of-hypocrisy
that is being shown by people who climb these apparently great boulder problems, then goes and log it on 8a. then they go and keep these areas a secret...
who says that you really did send a 7a or 8a anyways...? no one from the broader climbing community gets to verify the grading... a bit cheap, don't you think... irritating is another word that comes to mind.
how about you climb in secret, then you shut up about it as well??
:roll:
just something to think about...
you have one mouth, two ears. listen more...

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 am

If you have a problem with what people post on their 8a scorecard then why bother to check it out? If it irritates you so much then ignore it, and if it would make you feel any better, then just pretend that it is all a big fat lie and that these guys are not climbing anything.

You are obviously making a intense study of what other people climb and it makes you realise just how small your winky realy is.

Bottom line is, there is a unlimited amount of 5 star un-climbed lines in the Western Cape. If you couldn't be bothered to go out and find them, then tuff sh!t and stick to the areas you have a guide for.

scottnoy
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 am

Postby scottnoy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:22 am

Hear, hear Jeanpant!!!!!!!

A quick question for SAman: how many of the classic problems in your grade range have you climbed that are with-in a 30min drive from your house? Maybe you should focus on sending the CT classics before venturing off to Bain's?

The developers obviously care for the area and do NOT want random people walking around in this sensitive enviroment potentially causing a ban! A VERY REAL concern!!!
Why should they risk that for you???? If you only made the effort to befriend these people and not to 'dis' them, just think, maybe you coulda got the grand tour, pity!!
Last edited by scottnoy on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Postby Stu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:41 am

Jean don't be ridiculous, we check out 8a for the simple reason that we're psyched and climbers.
I would agree but lets face it, going on about releasing a guide, posting magnificant looking pics of the boulders on 8a and rating most of the problems on your score with ***, you are going to arouse interest.
Just shut up and climb there if you want it secret. We all have secret areas but the reason no one knows about them is because they are SECRET and we say nothing. Bains is no longer secret, everyone knows were the general areas are but aren't allowed to go there because we're told it's secret and illegal.
How many of us have spent hours and hours and hours searching for more boulders - you know what I would rather be doing is climbing those boulders.

Hector
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Postby Hector » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 pm

And they say the MCSA is elitist...?

Jacky Min
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Postby Jacky Min » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Anyeong to all that are following this sad and lonely quest!

I might be weak and new to climbing ,but seeing a bunch of guys \"bitch and moan\" about guides, men \" behaving like a bunch of 6 year olds', showing us \"how childish it is\", \"sillyness/kind-of-hypocrisy\" ,\"you really did send a 7a or 8a\",\"everyone knows were the general areas are\" REALLY?Is super hot and makes me a little excited.... hope that all of you will be in Rocklands next season where the real men hang out!


Listen if you have \"spent hours and hours and hours searching for more boulders\" and have not found any more worth climbing then the area might just be a way to distract your attention...Have you thought that these problem might be in the Landz and that \"dieselfde mens\" just not want to have some stupid \"Euro cunt\" taking a big ddong next to these most precious lines.Look at some of these beautiful pic's. (I must say both the climbers and the boulders looks as if its from out of this world, Cerderberg Sandstone the most amazing shit on the planet) it is clearly not Peninsula sandstone.

- \"you know what I would rather be doing is climbing those boulders\"Me to .....so lets go get them..... before they run away by next seasons influx of Foreigners!!!!! that don't respect our Heritage.Rather take the time to defend lines like Caroline and Question of balance against the next fool that climbs in the ceder- and yellow-wood tree!!!


\"Most people know how sensitive access can be and will respect it\".Most people who's that?Most people really... \"More people = more impact\"thanks Guy you have your ducks in a row...Topside Rocks!!!!

\"I would agree but lets face it, going on about releasing a guide, posting magnificant looking pics of the boulders on 8a and rating most of the problems on your score with ***, you are going to arouse interest.\"This is true, but if \"they\" hehe wanted you \"to find the\" \"apparently great boulder problems\" and create more impact and confirm the grades... hehe (stupid grades I think you all have big Waygook dicks) \"they\" hehe again would have posted a guide like the special guys from the Goldrush area?


Look to the Landz the future of bouldering in SA will be fought there and we should stand together with the CNC, MCSA and landowners to create a

Hueco Like structure of access control!!!!!!!

Fly into flying

brolloks
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 am

Postby brolloks » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:48 pm

sjees, jeanpants, now you want to ban me from 8a aswell...? :shock:
sorry, oh great one, i won't enter your sanctuary ever again... i might get blinded by your glorious radiance and maybe lose my climbing ability, or someting...yawn :oops:
just tell me one more thing, please, if you don't mind... since we're... sorry, you're talking about willies, is jeanpant a boy's name...? or are you just a macho chick...? sounds quite quaint and dainty don't you think...
:roll:
on a more noteworthy point: even though this 'elitist' attitude amongst some climbers irritates the heck out of me, i do also understand the very fragile ground of access and nature conservation that some people seem to ignore anyways.
so, if bk and gwk had 'no access', why did these guys go climb there in the first place? because, now, not only me, but most of the people that read this forum and 8a.nu know about these sensitive areas, and probably want to go check this out! personally, i would have been happy to go explore any of the already existing boulder areas for the rest of my days, or when i do go exploring one day, at least go see whether access is a problem to the area i'm going to or not... am i the only one worried being shot at...? :o
'hey EVERYBODY! i'm a good climber, who's not to sure of myself(see the 'comparing willies' story), so i just want to let you all know that i found this cool place, which i'm not going to tell you about! whê' childish? unsure? irritating? yes to all 3

i'm going to give myself a break now. adults know how to calm themselves ... its called 'emotional maturity'
8)
you have one mouth, two ears. listen more...

Stu
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Postby Stu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 pm

What the f*ck are you smoking/drinking Jackie Min, clearly most of my points when straight over your head. Anyway this thread needs to die pretty quick...

DBez
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:40 pm

Postby DBez » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Where's the love gone...? And this on a nice , great Friday afternoon !

Stu
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Postby Stu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:42 pm

I don't like Fridays :evil:

nosmo
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Under my bed

Postby nosmo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:42 pm

Bother. Everyone is looking at this from entirely the wrong angle. If someone has access/knowledge of a secret spot, be nice to the dude and you might get the grand tour. They have NO obligation to give you anything for free - and bitching about it like a kid is only going to make you look laughable.

Bleh.

Stu
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Postby Stu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Hey man, not sure if you're refering to me, but I and no one else never asked for any grand tour just not to reveal all these fabulous amazing lines and then say but sorry it's secret. Whatever though, tell don't tell, I'm outta here, don't know how I dragged myself into this...

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:14 am

This whole debate came about by SAman claiming falsely that he has a guide for the area. If you manufacture lies on a public forum, you open yourself up to abuse and if you receive it, you should not be too surprised.

Nobody ever said anything about secret areas or not allowing anbody on their turf. There was never any claims made about \"who was there first\" or \"who owns\" the place.

All these wild statements where made by random people joining the thread and feeling compelled to give their 5 cent's worth.

EvanW
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Singapore

Re:

Postby EvanW » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:13 pm

jeanpant wrote:Nobody ever said anything about secret areas or not allowing anbody on their turf.


@jeanpant ... are you sure about this? To quote one of your previous posts on this very same topic, you said the following:

jeanpant wrote:Secondly: The whole of Bainskloof is off limits to climbing and mostly also hiking, so if you are planning on climbing there, you will be doing so illegally.

Plain and simple.


This contradicts your last post.

Another question: if Bainskloof is in fact off-limits, then why are some chaps publishing ascents of problems in those areas on their 8a scorecards? Would that not be illegal?

I would love to go bouldering at these locations (the pics on the 8a scorecards look brilliant), but can you/someone clarify?

Thanks,

Evan.

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:49 pm

It is true. I was merely stating the obvious and i still can not recall anybody claiming it as their area.It is your choice if you want to go climbing there or not. As i far as i know there is no guide and no formal access arangements.

The original post had nothing to do with Bainskloof. I asked a straight forward question about groot winterhoek. I dont kow how bains got dragged into this.Sorry, but i'm not the authority and dont have enough knowledge on the area.

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Jeanpant, I've unfortunately had to go through SOME of the shit you and your friend wrote when the subject about these areas came up:


jeanpant wrote:Yes Willpower, why haven't you been working all those rad new lines in Du Toit's? It seems that Juri has the place all to himself. This is bullsh!t. I'm comming to bust some moves up there this weekend.

Juri, i got mugged by some badass natives up at this "secret area". Please make a note of this in your guide. Lot's of muggings lately...



jeanpant wrote:Apparently there is a highly secretive group of boulderers out to open the best lines in the world at top secret locations.

They open lines such as: Die geel slang en die cheeta, Die misleier, Hongersnood and The Human Pretzel.

Who are these men? What is their agenda, and what will the future hold?

Will the myth ever be uncovered?


and your friend:

juriejoubert wrote:why?why?why?why?why?i hate everyone that is just too lazy to do anything and then expect other people that have psyche and that do shit to share everything they find and love and and and ... with the rest, i will never share anything with anyone i do not know or know and dislike or know and not respect! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:


juriejoubert wrote:Jeanpant,my bru,waht do you think the chances are that these secretive,unknown boulderers are going to a secret unknown area that does not really exist and climb some secret unknown lines,this weekend?


And all the other kak here:

http://www.climbing.co.za/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3070
http://www.climbing.co.za/phpbb2/viewto ... 4&start=40

Obviously your a bunch of pricks and are trying to mislead climbing community with your crap. If you don't want to be part of climbing community then start surfing or something.

Also, as I've mentioned before, the only reason I started the guide story is to show you how stupid your crap is and to expose you and your friends bull shit posting

scottnoy
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 am

Postby scottnoy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:09 pm

SouthAfricanMan,
do you mind telling me who you are?
Thanks

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:18 pm

For my own safety, I don't think thats a very good idea

scottnoy
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 am

Postby scottnoy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 pm

Why, do you say things on this forum that you are to 'chicken' to say in person?

SouthAfricanMan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Postby SouthAfricanMan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:43 pm

If you feel my views are unfounded or you disagree, then state your case based on my views, not on my name.

Also calling me chicken is not going to taunt me into revealling my identity

jeanpant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby jeanpant » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:47 am

Afraid to reveal your identity? BWWWAHAHAAA!! What, do you think i'm going to come hunt you down or something? Please man, i am not nearly as bored you are.

EvanW
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Singapore

Postby EvanW » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 am

Jeanpant / JurieJoubert / Scott (addressed to you because you guys seem to be in the know) ... please keep the emotion out of this and answer the following questions factually:

1. Are you guys bouldering at GW (Groot Winterhoek) ?
2. Are you guys bouldering at BK (Bainskloof) ?
3. If \"yes\" to any of the above, would you guys mind showing me around those areas ?

The reason I am asking is 'cos the bouldering pictures from those areas which Jurie (and Leon Du Toit) have posted on their 8a.nu scorecards (which also both list a huge number of problems at GW & BK) looks brilliant, and I'm keen to go bouldering there.

Thanks.

Evan.


Social Media

     

Return to “General Postings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests