Oudtshoorn - route guide / info

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Mark

Oudtshoorn - route guide / info

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi, We will be done near George and holiday, so we plan on going to have a look / climb in Oudtshoorn, I see there is a guide for the main wall but nothing is easier than 24. I can almost climb 24 but not quite yet (23 I can do) Are there other walls there? with easier routes or am I going to go and spend some time trying to claw up a 24? Thanks

DBez

Postby DBez » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Mark , you don't need to avoid Outies 'cos of this . There's enough to do on the Initiation wall , just as you approach the crag (grey limestone with sharp features) . Most of the routes here are 16 to 22 . The last one before the break away to the main crag is a great 22 . I also know there's another spot with two other routes opposite the Main wall , if you go pass Two to win . Apparently lower grades and there is also some easier stuff above Short Circuit Area . Main wall area self got a 22 , Goonie Goo Goo . Hope this helps , it will be hot !

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Shot DBez

GarethFrost

Postby GarethFrost » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Mark, if you are in that area and have trad gear, take a trip to Swartberg Pass. Great country climbing close to Prince Albert. Well worth a visit.
You will find an RD in the routes section.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:31 pm

I have driven the swartberg pass a couple of times, its pretty awesome.

Without intending to change the topic - I dont have trad gear yet but I'm starting to itch a little for it (Its nice to be able to walk up to a piece of mountain and try and climb it instead of looking for the bolts :) )

I'm just in the position now where I'm nervous to rely on trad gear and placements (I know I must get someone to teach me), but then at the same time I currently have to rely on anchors / bolts that I have no knowledge / history of - The lesser of two weevils ?

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”