Quantcast
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:02 pm 

if the legend is true, if its reality and not myth, if there really is an invisible chalk-less climber out there, sending all the projects, leaving no trail whatsoever, then we must surely delete our claims to first ascents.

these days, when people are obsessed with 'developing' areas instead of just visiting them, the invisible chalk-less climber stands alone - at least, that's how the legend goes.

you see, in a way, the invisible chalkless climber is like Schrodinger's cat. a metaphor capturing various ideas about the influence of human measurement, and in this case climbing, on systems.

anyway, many times i've stood on top of a freshly deflowered boulder, getting this strange feeling that mine wasn't the first ascent. maybe the invisible chalk-less climber sent it before me, maybe he's already 'developed' the area, and sent his non-existent topo's to his other invisible chalk-less friends...

so that next time when i feel like i own a place, i'll just remeber that the invisible chalk-less climber has already been there and has already figured out all the beta, and moved on to greater things.

well, at least then a second ascent will be treated with some more awe and respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:30 am 

Indeed Willpower. I am also truly fascinated by this by this strange phenomenon.

Perhaps it is his voice you hear when you are on your own, high off the deck on that bold new line. As you are eyeing out that final, brittle looking jug for the finish... You setup for the throw and then, all of a sudden you hear your spotter: \" that hold is going to break bru. not worth the risk\"
But there is no one with you. You are on your own...

The invisible chalk-less climber has struck again... keeping you of that line and avoiding a second accent.

Not to worry Willpower. If he does indeed exist, we will at least have a topo for bk and gw in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:11 pm 

What the ....!!! :roll:

Post subject: Schrodingers chalk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 am 

as I understand it, the cat was the observer, the 'proof' in the theorem. So surely the same is true about the chalkless climber. If there is no 'proof' that he/she has been anywhere (or is that everywhere) then his sends (or not) are irrelevant.
I propose that we cover all the routes, and possible routes, in pink jello...if the jello is removed...then u can surmise that someone has been there - even if there is no chalk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:37 am 

Is this invisible chalk-less climber an MCSA member?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 am 

mmmmmm..... pink jello