Buildering

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Chalk

Buildering

Postby Chalk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Bedford Centre has its first Buildering problem.. Stair down, Probably a V0.

The things one is forced to do – all because of work! Desperate to climb something I found the fire escape and set to work- Try going upside down, under the stairs, then negotiate the landing…

Be interested to hear if anybody else has some creative lunch time climbing activities.

nosmo

Postby nosmo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:11 pm

LOL, yeah dude, you're not the only one.

It's technically not a building, but the overpass/intersection between Christiaan de Wet and Hendrik Potgieter (right in front of Makro, and incidentally looking up at Strubens 1) is made up of some cool interfitting precast concrete blocks.

Where the blocks join - every couple of meters - you will find a perfect finger crack, parallel sided but rather smooth on the inside. The wall goes from pretty low (less than 2m) on the far left to pretty f*in scary (about 8 - 10m ??) on the far right. The crack/gap has 1 m vertical sections for jamming with 10cm horizontal sections in between for rests all the way up. Take a pad, top out and never do it again :D

JonoJ

Postby JonoJ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:27 pm

From my office to the lift, I traverse the skirting boards, underclinging the dido rail, finger-tip campus up on the ledge above the lift door, press the button with my foot, and either dead-hang or do staggered lock-offs until the lift arrives.

Often have to explain myself (rather red-faced) to the lift occupants who have just been shocked by having my crotch presented to them at eye-level when the lift door opens! :oops:

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:52 am

Glad to see im not the only one, here is one to share with you guys on the corner of Hendrik Potgieter & 7th Ave in edenvale is a building which bourders the road on two sides , from the ground to about 1.5meters up and all the way round it is coverd in large stone claded block , its great for doing laps and the stone is as close to the real thing as you will get.

GarethFrost

Postby GarethFrost » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 am

I once scaled the town library in Benoni, at night and after a lekker party, dragging a rope to abseil down again. Don't think I would try it again in case I get brought to book :)

JonoJ

Re:

Postby JonoJ » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:36 am

GarethFrost wrote:I once scaled the town library in Benoni, at night and after a lekker party, dragging a rope to abseil down again. Don't think I would try it again in case I get brought to book :)

Benoni has a library????? :shock:

:D khekhekhekhe

Hey Lofty.... how goes bro? Has your number changed? Wanted to give you a buzz re Swartberg!!

steveB

Postby steveB » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Great buildering route up the front of Jameson hall, UCT
Grade probably 22+/(22+/23)

Start next to the front door, up past the window, traverse the rail through the roof, around the pillar and over the protruding lip.

I toproped it but you could likely protect by slinging the crown molding of the pillar...

An easier variation heads to the right around the corner and up the dihedral...

ropdoh

Postby ropdoh » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34 am

Well its blatant self-advertising but here are my buildering videos from a couple of years back.

http://dsp3.ee.uct.ac.za/builder/

Unfortunately, no-one had the balls to do Jameson Hall at the time of filming.

nosmo

Postby nosmo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:06 pm

Nice! BTW, does UCT mind the bandwidth? :wink:

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:54 pm

After work and after dark I sometimes climb a face brick townhouse - always get nervous someone is going to see me and take a shot :lol:

brolloks

Postby brolloks » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:41 pm

Many a church building has succumbed to my mad climbing skills and had to endure a few people(including a wide eyed pastor of sorts) staring as if I needed an exsorsism...
:shock:
:P
you have one mouth, two ears. listen more...

Re:

Postby Avatar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:56 am

Mark wrote:After work and after dark I sometimes climb a face brick townhouse - always get nervous someone is going to see me and take a shot :lol:

Oh gods, I never thought of that! :lol: Up 'til now, I've only worried they'd think I was breaking in...and I do it in daylight too. Thanks a lot. ;)

(Up two stories of the outside stairwell wall at my block of flats...traverse left, stem across the open book and mantle up over the laundry area wall. Walk off via laundry area door.

Just for the stretching really, the wall has those big air-brick type things where it's just a single big hole...the whole vertical part is practically like climbing a ladder.)

--A

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”