Climbing accidents and Insurance

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
GBM

Climbing accidents and Insurance

Postby GBM » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi All. By now most of you are probably aware of the 2 accidents in Cape Town over the weekend, the one fatal, the other, by all accounts, not particularly well handled by Netcare.

Are any of you aware of special climbing insurance or whether any of the major insurers offer insurance (medical, disability, income protection etc) for climbers? I know for instance that one of my insurance policies specifically excludes it. That’s on the personal injury side.

On the gear side I imagine that since most things that can be insured its possible to insure your gear, like any other sports gear. However, anyone know whether such a policy would extend to cover a situation in which gear is lost in the normal course of a climbing activity i.e. major retreat and leaving most of your very expensive cams etc on the mountain ... I see no reason why a suitably worded policy may not cover such an eventuality in the same way that a driver who crashes his/her car gets to claim on his/her insurer.

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:09 am

Hi GBM,

Check out the following threads below, you might find some answers (maybe more questions):
Medical Aid & Climbing & Mountain insurance There is also the contact details of a company that provides 'Extreme risk insurance' in the one thread.

I'd be very interested to hear the outcome of your enquiry.
Cheers,
Justin
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Redhead

Postby Redhead » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:38 am

I was doing the medical aid/insurance hunt earlier this year and Fedhealth is one provider that covers climbing, scuba diving and other such \"adventure\" sports.

saclimb

Climbing insurance

Postby saclimb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:17 pm

HI All

Several years ago, Discovery Health sponsered a trip to everest and found that they had a conflict of interest as they did not insure climbers. Before that trip left they changed their policy and payout for under medical aid polocies, I have been fortunite that I have not beeded it. 8)

I also have a discovery life cover which gets loaded for extream sport. The life insturance that is taken out though the company I have specified mountain climbing and now I am covered! 8)

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”