Safety on Table Mountain

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Justin

Safety on Table Mountain

Postby Justin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 pm

We have started an initiative to help make Table Mountain safe once more… and are holding a public meeting in conjunction with Table Mountain National Park to address the issues at hand.

We invite all avid mountain users, especially operators, guides, clubs, etc, to come through and assist in this project.

Meeting details:
Date: Thursay 15 February
Time: 17:00 – 19:00
Venue: Newlands Forest Station
Info will be posted on www.3poles.co.za as and when available.

I thank you in advance for your support.

Kind regards
Ray D. Chaplin
3Poles

[e] ray@3poles.co.za
[w] www.3poles.co.za

Posted on behalf of Ray Chaplin
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

JonoJ

Postby JonoJ » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Sounds good. Action at last!

Thanks for posting!!

Hawkman

Postby Hawkman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:45 pm

About time. Sitting from relative saftey over here in the UK, I keep reminding myself that it's usually the bad news that gets through. But the TM thing seems to be happening more and more often and if our blessed governement can't do anything to keep one of the arguably most important areas of tourism etc in the country safe, then we are truly in the kak.

Won't stop me from coming back perenially, and hopefully returning in the long term. I'm starting to pale here and like warm beer. :cry:
\"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you\". - Oom Nietzsche

Guy

Postby Guy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:05 pm

I would love to know how many climbers actually pitch up to this meeting. We're ALL very good at whinging (especially on impersonal internet forums), but who will actually do something.
There's no point being pessimistic, because it probably won't work

Guy

Postby Guy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 am

It appears that climbers are not really concerned about crime on TM.

In all about 100 people pitched up - of which I recognised 3. Anthony Hall (a climber), Greg Mosely (MCSA Chairman) and Roger Price (I don't think he climbs any more - but he did complain about be arrested by over jealous park rangers who assumed he was a homeless bloke (he's not a snappy dresser)).

Anyway - most people there just had a whinge, but some people actually gave SANP some constructive ideas. The feeling that I got was the TMNP Management really are trying to do something about the problem - it is just a very difficult problem to solve.
There's no point being pessimistic, because it probably won't work

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”