Quantcast
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:57 am 

Don't join the Mountain Club of South Africa they are bunch of stuck up, self centered, glory boys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:47 am 

Yes, that is correct...we don't need rif-raf in the club ...just kidding!

So what is your real gripe Drifter? Which section did you try & bless with your presents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 am 

Yeah...drifter which section ? Was it any of them in the Western Cape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 pm 

Don't know what you guys are talking about. What's the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:19 am 

Drifter why dont you start your own club then only let
COOL people join? Call it the CMCSA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 am 

Yeah ! And how cool would you need to be to be in this cool club if you can only be so cool and cool is not \"cool\" anymore ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:41 am 

Casper, The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) JHB section, is an organisation which made it really easy and pleasant and fun for me to get into hiking and climbing 2 years ago as a complete beginner. Since then, they have afforded me the opportunity to see incredible slide shows of both South African climbers (who they often sponsor to do big trips) and international speakers like Simon Yates, meet some of the best friends I have ever had, and get out and about to some places I that I never knew were in my own region, which are pristinely maintained by the club.

So in my personal experience, its a great thing to get in touch with if you are looking to meet climbers easily in Joburg. Might be useful.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:30 am 

megawat wrote:
Casper, The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) JHB section, is an organisation which made it really easy and pleasant and fun for me to get into hiking and climbing 2 years ago as a complete beginner. Since then, they have afforded me the opportunity to see incredible slide shows of both South African climbers (who they often sponsor to do big trips) and international speakers like Simon Yates, meet some of the best friends I have ever had, and get out and about to some places I that I never knew were in my own region, which are pristinely maintained by the club.

So in my personal experience, its a great thing to get in touch with if you are looking to meet climbers easily in Joburg. Might be useful.
Ok, cool. We have something similar here as well, although we have zero rock climbing in Holland. They mainly organize competitions, and you get reduction in climbing gyms. Because we don't have rock we do have very cool gyms, 35+ mtr (100+ feet). My home gym has the possibility to climb outside as well, about 120 routes, Probably the closest to rock you get in Holland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:19 pm 

Hi Casper,

That sounds amazing! can you post some pictures of this wall you climb at? It would be interesting to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:27 pm 

Rock is called monte cervino, outside is 35 mtr concrete, inside 27 mtr. Some nice boulders as well, not displayed on the pics. What about gyms in SA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm 

HOLY COW! Thats amazing...

Our - Joburg - gyms suck in comparison (was going to try put it politely but that wouldn't be helpful). Have heard City Rock in Cape Town is pretty cool tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:37 pm 

That's a 20 min. ride by bike from my home. Go there 2 times a week, every week several routes are changed. That's the cool thing about gyms, it's different every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 am 

Damm Casper!!!! Now thats what I call a climbing wall!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: It makes some of the walls / Gyms here look like they are from the dark ages!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:16 am 

willemeulen wrote:

[...]

You might have climbed there as well, 3 years ago the wall already existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:24 am 

Wow, that's a pretty amazing wall! I think it's fairly safe to say you won't find anything indoors in SA that can compare to that. BUT! Our rock is phenomenal. I would recommend that when you're here you don't bother too much with the indoor stuff - get out and climb as much as you can on real rock. We have awesome climbing all over the country. (Maybe that's why most of our gyms are so sad...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 am 

Bron wrote:
Wow, that's a pretty amazing wall! I think it's fairly safe to say you won't find anything indoors in SA that can compare to that. BUT! Our rock is phenomenal. I would recommend that when you're here you don't bother too much with the indoor stuff - get out and climb as much as you can on real rock. We have awesome climbing all over the country. (Maybe that's why most of our gyms are so sad...)

Yeah that's what I thought as well. Compared to rock, indoor climbing is a bit silly, that's what everyone at MC (the gym) says/thinks as well. Huge advantage of this wall is that outside it's only leadclimbing/following (how do you guys call that?), inside it's mainly toprope. This way you can learn some skills aquired on rock outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:39 am 

I reckon if we screw some holds on the Pinnacle in Pinnacle Gorge it'll look just like that outdoor wall 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 am 

Oh look everyone it is 'the wet panty' AKA Guest posting absolute bullsh*t again. Shut your big ugly trap you little cry baby.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:16 am 

jeanpant wrote:
Oh look everyone it is 'the wet panty' AKA Guest posting absolute bullsh*t again. Shut your big ugly trap you little cry baby.

Relax dude, this way you'll start another discussion about... what?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 am 

casper wrote:
jeanpant wrote:

That's just the chilled vibe we're mostly all about here!!

Talking of Holland...who needs climbing to soar when you have Amsterdam!!! Wait, hang on, what am I saying.... I'm a climber! ...aah gawddamit, now I've dropped my spliff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 am 

Oh ja..... rad looking gym!!!!

Not as cool as CityRock though!!

C'mon Robert, where's all my free stuff now??? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 am 

JonoJ wrote:
casper wrote:
jeanpant wrote:

Talking of Holland...who needs climbing to soar when you have Amsterdam!!! Wait, hang on, what am I saying.... I'm a climber! ...aah gawddamit, now I've dropped my spliff!!

Not only Amsterdam :wink: , last week police discovered a illegal marijuana nursery around the corner. I never smoked it, though. Every foreigner thinks we all have 20 plants in the backgarden. That's not true. Maybe 5, or so. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 am 

casper wrote:
JonoJ wrote:
casper wrote:
jeanpant wrote:

Not only Amsterdam :wink: , last week police discovered a illegal marijuana nursery around the corner. I never smoked it, though. Every foreigner thinks we all have 20 plants in the backgarden. That's not true. Maybe 5, or so. :wink:

Dyamn! Your gardens are that small?? hehe :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:07 am 

Heeyyyy Casper , you okes climb actually or too busy rolling joints ? Pinnacle will do with a hundred or so plastic moulds ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 am 

DBez wrote:
Heeyyyy Casper , you okes climb actually or too busy rolling joints ? Pinnacle will do with a hundred or so plastic moulds ...

I never used drugs. not marijuana, or anything else. O, wait, I've once eaten a marijuana lolly, but that was not very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:44 am 

A ganja lolly :)...was that sold on the street ?Or homemade with tender loving care ? Good looking gym Casper , pity you guys get funding from all sorts of bodies in the European Union .

Post subject: montecivino
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:48 pm 

Yep,
Also did climbing there when i was still around in the lowlands. Only went there twice though. It's was quite a drive (to the dutch standards) and i was mainly working in Czech republik where they have real rock. But the outdoors climbing is damn good for artificial stuff. even went climbing at night with the spot lights on and hard winds, almost thought i was in the alps. Second time there was rain again like first time and climbed under overhanging part. But real rock is much better though, and you don't have to change routes because there is enough to climb. Like waterval boven for instance, they almost have 500 routens from which about 400 are bolted. Kan climb for a lifetime that side.

Cheers
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:32 pm 

DBez wrote:
A ganja lolly :)...was that sold on the street ?Or homemade with tender loving care ? Good looking gym Casper , pity you guys get funding from all sorts of bodies in the European Union .

I bought it in a little drug-related store where they sell marijuana, water pipes, tourist stuff etc. I've had some friends who made space-cake (marijuana pie), but I don't like people using drugs. A lot of people here think it's no problem to use marijuana, they think coca-cola or coffee is more dangerous. :roll: At the moment the tax (V.A.T, how do you call it?) for peanutbutter or milk is higher than for marijuana. Ridiculous.

We do get funded by the EU, but we pay more than we get. It's all going to Eastern Europe and France. On one side we pay hundreds of millions to the EU, on the other side we get funded for agriculture and innovation. Things like climbing are very cheap for students like me, I pay €6,25 to climb one full day at MC, thats less than 60 rand. If you don't have equipment yourself you can rent it for free, it's all in those €6,25. For you it might not seem very cheap, but here it is. For example, I pay 90 rand for a cinematicket and another 60 rand for a coke and some popcorn (in €uro's of course..) Students get reduction on most sports, but that's funded by the government, not by the EU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 pm 

Shame...always the Eastern Europeans ! Is it the Polish or now the Latvians that make you sweat in your collar ? In SA we get almost \"zilt\" for sports . You can only compete in soccer , cricket & rugby if you want government funding . And of course for agriculture...well , that's where all the dumping in Africa happens and not much farming .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:18 pm 

DBez wrote:
Shame...always the Eastern Europeans ! Is it the Polish or now the Latvians that make you sweat in your collar ? In SA we get almost "zilt" for sports . You can only compete in soccer , cricket & rugby if you want government funding . And of course for agriculture...well , that's where all the dumping in Africa happens and not much farming .

More and more people are getting aware of trade barriers for African products, and I think they will go down within now and 5 years. I didn't want to say it's bad money is transferred to Eastern Europe, I just wanted to say we're not getting that rich as some people think by the EU. The EU wants to innovate and subsidize the poorer European countries like the Czech Republic, Poland and even Greece, before they start to worry about Africa. I dont agree with the guys in Brussel who earn €120.000 for discussing how much potatos a Dutch farmer is allowed to grow or how much tax we have to pay to import African potatos.